Saturday, May 26, 2012

It's been awhile. Sorry.

Except for that little post from my Kindle in the hotel room, I  have been offline for several days.  Sorry. That's not my usual style.

All I can say is that we were busy!  And eating!  And then not feeling well.  Gee, is there any chance that's all related?  LOL!

We had a lovely three day trip to the Space Coast, visiting Cape Canaveral National Seashore and Cocoa Beach.  It was fun because we hadn't had a beach vacation for several years.  The water was a bit too rough to go in for me at the National Seashore, especially since there were no life guards.  It was warm enough to enjoy walking along the edge and getting splashed!  That was fun.  I brought home some nice shells to add to my very small collection.  We also walked out on Cocoa Beach, a one block walk from the motel, but I was too tired to go swimming there because we had already spent so many hours out on the National Seashore.  I told Mark that on our next visit I will definitely spend a day on Cocoa Beach.  It had everything!  A short walk, soft sand, lifeguards, lots of people swimming so I would have felt safe, and no unexpected drop offs under the waves.  Natural dune beaches are beautiful, but there's something to be said for the groomed, guarded beaches by hotels, too.

Thursday night we made it back to Solivita in time for the movie.  I didn't think it was going to be a good one.  The previews made it look like a stupid slapstick comedy, not my favorite style, but it exceeded our expectations!  The movie starred Matt Damon and Scarlett Johannsson (sp?) and was called We Bought a Zoo. It's actually a true story, and it also stars the most adorable little girl actress EVER.  Surprisingly, I would actually recommend this movie!

Last night I felt terrible.  I almost felt like I was having a heart "problem."  I had pressure in my chest which began around 2 in the afternoon.  I just ignored it for several hours.  Around 7 p.m. I decided to take two baby aspirins from Mark's stash and started reading up on heart attack symptoms for women. I had pressure, some shortness of breath, pain in my back between my shoulder blades, fatigue.  Yup, all symptoms.  Mark was ready to take me to the ER, but I said no. I took my BP and it was 117/65 with a pulse of 68, all just fine.  I decided to go to bed.  Before I went to bed, STOP READING NOW IF SQUEAMISH, I had an unusually large bowel movement.  Yeah, that felt good, and then I realized some of the pressure in my chest was gone.  When I woke up, I had no symptoms left except some pain in my back between my shoulder blades, but it was milder.  I had carried a lot of heavy stuff over my shoulders, a backpack and a heavy chair in a case, for quite a long way across the sand on Thursday.  Gee, yeah, that could cause pain between the shoulder blades on Friday.  I think that's all it was.  Today I'm better, but we decided to take it easy and not go to the shul this morning.

The holiday of Shavuot begins tonight, so we we are going to shul tonight, Sunday morning, and Monday morning.  I think we can be forgiven if I wanted to take it easy and skip going this morning.

The really big news is that Evey and Eric are having an incredible adventure this weekend.  They drove five and a half hours from home Friday night to camp at 9,000 feet on the side of a mountain.  Today they are visiting the Bristlecone Pines, also called the Methuselah trees, because they are the oldest living trees anywhere.  Tomorrow they are hiking up to around 14,250 feet to the summit of White Mountain.  Wow!  That seems scary to me, but they are ready for it. It's a 14 mile round trip hike, ascending from about 11,500 where they can leave the car.  It will be a long but exhilarating day for them.  I must confess some apprehension for them about altitude sickness, but they seem to have done their homework and feel prepared  They actually hiked 13 miles last weekend in preparation.  Monday they are going to Lake Mono and visiting the Tufas. NO, I had NO idea what that was, but I googled it.  I recommend you do the same. It's pretty interesting.

Once they drove into Yosemite last night (they had to go in one side and out the other side to get to their campground), they were completely out of cell phone coverage for the rest of the time.  I must confess that until I get a text or email or phone call Monday night knowing that they are safely down off the mountain and back into civilization I will be feeling a bit ill at ease.

Maybe stress over their trip caused my chest pains!  LOL!

Enjoy the pictures of the beaches, the motel, and Bella, the laziest dog in the world.












No comments:

Post a Comment