Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Something new I have discovered

Every now and then a favorite website changes things, and it's not always viewed as an improvement.  Anyone who uses Facebook understands what I mean.  Those using Google for email or searches have also seen it make changes.  Recently the blogspot website that I use to host my blog has made changes, too.

When I first started in the fall of 2009, there were limited ways it could look.  After about a year, they changed things so that there seemed to be unlimited ways to make it look.  About six months ago, they changed it again!  If you remember the original blog, you know that I did take advantage of the second round of options. I changed the arrangement of things and the colors.  When the next wave came by, I looked at it for awhile and then decided to ignore the new choices.

Well, now they've done it again.  About a month ago, when I clicked to write a new blog post, it looked different.  What?  It took me a few minutes to figure out how to do it.  I wasn't sure I liked it, but it wasn't changing anything about the final product or what you as a reader see, so I just got used to the new way it made me write and post a blog.  Now I'm used to it and it's fine.  It also changed the way I could add pictures.  This was actually a good thing.  It is now easier and faster to add pictures. I can add a bunch all at one time without having to go to each picture separately. It also adds them at the speed of light, whereas before it was pretty slow to upload each picture.  So in general, I thought this new round of changes was pretty good.

A couple of days ago I noticed there were some more changes that I had not noticed originally.  Again, these are things that only I see as the "owner" of the blog and do not affect the reader's experience.  It will now tell me how many times each blog post has been "viewed," how many total views I have per page, per day, per week, and for all time.  And it tells me what countries these views come from.  These are the biggest shockers of all!!

So today I'd like to share some of these interesting stats with you and see if you are as surprised as I was.

It counts the number of times each blog is "viewed." I'm sure they say viewed because they don't know if you really read it or not.

Well, there were 48 blogs in 2009 and 42 in 2010 that were NEVER viewed!  I guess not even Mark bothered to look at those.  LOL!  Beginning around April or May of 2010 EVERY page has been viewed at least twice.  Interesting.

Top 10 all time HIGHEST viewed blog posts:
1. 355 views, written on 4/20/11  "I'm officially a SURVIVOR!"
2. 134 views, written on 12/19/10  "Fighting C Diff"
3. 130 views, written on 8/10/10  "Brief Blog"
4. 129 views, written on 7/25/10  "Today is the DAY!"
5. 79 views, written on 11/11/10  "Another guest blog"
6. 74 views, written on 12/16/10  "Middle of the Night blog"
7. 66 views, written on 7/22/11  "Flexi-Touch"
8. 66 views, written on 9/30/10  "Say YES to Chemo"
9. 61 views, written on 10/10/10  "UPDATED: Good times bad times and blogging on Breast Cancer"
10. 53 views, written on 11/12/10  "Not Quite a Weekend at the Ritz" 


Where the pageviews come from (meaning the number of computers used):
US 260
Ukraine 19
Russia 11
United Kingdom 4
Slovenia 4
Germany 3
India 1
Morocco 1
These countries were big shockers.  Officially, I have 20 "followers" and I know of several other people who might be reading it.  If you asked me, I would say no more than 35 people ever read this.  I guess I am wrong about that!

Types of computers and programs used to view it:
Internet Explore 40%     Firefox 30%    Safari 15%     and others
Windows 70%      Mac 23%    iPhone 5%     and others

It also tracks the number of comments made on each post. I don't get a lot of comments. Just a quick scan of that stat seemed to show that I never had a post make it into a double digit number of comments, and the vast majority have no comment at all.  That's ok because I get lots of private comments through emails, texts, and phone calls.

So that's my blog for today.  I guess tomorrow I can check to see if anyone "viewed" it!  LOL!!


 

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if it really knows the difference between IPhone and IPad? I suspect that more views come from IPad. I also wonder if views from a "reader" (like Google Reder) or RSS aggregator count. Oh well - I guess in the grand scheme of things maybe it's more important that Mayan calendars have been recently discovered that reference dates after 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, John. All of the working of computers remain a mystery to me. Everyone should rest assured that at no time does it tell me WHO is reading the blog. There are no identifiers like emails or names anywhere. It's just counting "views." Still, I was pretty surprised by what I saw. Hope you and Bev are both doing well.

    ReplyDelete