Saturday, March 16, 2013

Doctor Shock

I was so shocked that I nearly fell off the scale.  When I got called into her office yesterday, (at 12:10 p.m., an hour after my appointment time due to an emergency coming in), I weighed exactly 262.5 on her scale.  That was down six pounds from my own scale at home that morning and exactly what I weighed four months ago on her scale. She was happy with me.  Sigh.  I was happy.  Also my BP, cholesterol, fasting sugar, and A1C (5.6) were all excellent.  For a fat, 62 year old, I'm remarkably healthy.  LOL!

I ate perfectly yesterday, 1250 calories, and weighed 263.5 this morning on my scale.  Clearly our two scales do not agree, but I'm still happy.

Tonight we are having four people over for dinner.  Mark made an enchilada casserole that we've had before.  There will also be steamed asparagus and tossed salad.  For dessert we have Key Lime pie and ice cream, also fresh strawberries and blueberries.  Our company is bringing wine and Panera bread, two loaves.  Clearly, I need to stay away from the bread and eat only a small piece of pie. The rest of the dinner will be no problem.  Breakfast was my usual and lunch will be at home, so I can control it.  I am hoping for another reasonable day.

The doctor suggested that I need to ramp up the exercise.  I told her that we walk 30 minutes, about 1.3 miles, most days of the week and try to do the weights three days a week.  She was right when she said that is not sufficient for weight loss.  I know that, but it's hard to get more time for the exercise.  She wants me to do chair yoga and beginner Tai Chi at the Solivita fitness center.  She knows about the classes there because she has other patients doing them.  I think I could do those, but I have to check the schedule.  It's really all about making time and making priorities.

Today's priority is to go to shul this morning, and I'm already behind schedule on that.  We will be terribly late, as always.  When we return around 1:30 p.m., we will have lunch.  Mark got up very early, so I'm sure he will need a nap.  I need to do some tidying up and make the salad for dinner.  The company is coming at 5:30, so that's not a lot of time to be running up to the gym.  There are no classes today, so it would be just to use the weights and take a walk.  The weather is going to the low 80s today, so swimming outdoors would be possible, but with company coming at 5:30 and chores in the house to do to get ready for them, it's not likely that I'm going to go swimming.  See how easy it is to make excuses not to exercise?

Meanwhile, Evey texted me last night that she loved snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, but they were so exhausted that they slept about 12 hours straight.  The next morning, which was last night when she texted me, they rented a car and drove up to the Daintree Rainforest, planning on hiking to Cape Tribulation for a view of the ocean.  By now that is over, and they are probably back sleeping.  When they wake up,  they are flying back to Sydney for a few more days.  What an experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment