Sunday, March 10, 2013

I get so pissed off.

I am pissed off about my weight.  I'm up a pound and a half to 264.5, and I have no idea why. 

I did my weight routine, even adding more reps to everything, and then we walked 1.45 miles in 32 minutes, which was pretty fast for us. I drank a lot of water, also. I really felt like I would have dropped a pound and a half today and undo what happened on Thursday, or at least have stayed the same.  BUT NO!

Yesterday we did have an unexpected lunch at the synagogue because we had forgotten that there were two families celebrating birthdays and anniversaries.  They provided everyone a lovely sit-down luncheon.  I took a big helping of the tossed salad, which did have mandarin oranges and raisins in it, a deli flat (100 calories), a small scoop of tuna salad to make a sandwich on the deli flat, less than a tablespoon of hummus, 3 low carb tortilla flax chips, a few carrot and celery sticks, and 2 small wedges of pineapple.  I also had a small bowl of home made veggie cholent (stew), which was spectacular but did have potatoes and carrots in it. Considering what was on the table that I could have had, that was a small lunch! It's hard to estimate calories in this sort of thing, but my best guess is 700.  That's too much for lunch regularly, but I thought it would be off set by a low calorie dinner.

Breakfast was the usual 200 calories of sausage links and yogurt.  Dinner was a plate of salad (lettuce, carrots, grape tomatoes and red, yellow, and green peppers) with a can of low sodium tuna on it and sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese.  I estimated 125 calories in the cheese and 140 in the tuna plus the veggies (maybe 60), pretty low calorie dinner all in all, 325.

My big mistake was my snack choices later in the evening.  I ate a banana, as always, a small wedge of watermelon, and about 5 ounces of raisin challah. It was a really big banana, so maybe it had more calories than I estimated. I also know I should have skipped the challah, but it was calling me in the last half hour before bed.  Total snack calories are estimated at 600.  I know that's where I made a big mistake.  It was a bad choice at 10:30 at night, symptomatic of being out of control again. 

Anyway, the total for the day was approximately 1825.  I know that there's not usually a weight loss on that amount, but it really should not have caused a pound and a half weight gain.  Also the exercise that I did should have accounted for 225 calories, bringing the net calories for the day to 1600.  That should have meant I stayed the same.

I know this blog sounds a little whiny, and Evey would call me on it if she was in the country and reading this blog!  She'd say stop whining.  Quite honestly, I don't mean for this to be a whine or a rant.  It's me trying to explain to myself what the heck happened.  What happened is that I lost control at night and overate on snacks.  That can happen to anybody.  If my lunch had been at home and in the 300-400 calorie range, then the snacking wouldn't have made such an impact.

OK, back on the horse.  I can only try to do better today.  I'm having my extra big Sunday morning pancake breakfast today that Mark likes to make.  He serves it with two scrambled eggs and two sausage links, making it about 450 calories for breakfast.  He's making a Tex Mex salad for dinner, which will provide about 285 calories.  That gives me 735 already and a day of eating at Epcot for lunch.  It's the Spring Flower and Garden Festival, so we are going to eat some of the tapas portions of two or three items as we go see Mickey Dolenz perform at the American pavilion.  There will be at least two miles of walking today as well.  I have no idea what the calories or sodium content will be for lunch today, and I can only hope the walking will undo some of it.  You'll find out tomorrow.

Now for the Evey and Eric update.  I don't think I'll have any news directly from them for a few days because they are starting their Outback camping trip.  They flew to Alice Springs yesterday, as I reported, and today they are heading to the Outback.  They will be picked up at 6 a.m. local time (which will be near my bedtime tonight) for an outback camping adventure to Uluru, visiting the  Aboriginal Cultural Center, taking a sunset walk, and camping in swags.  I hope they get to sing "Waltzing Matilda!"  Even though Eric's phone works world wide, it doesn't work in the outback, so there won't be any updates directly from them for a few days.  They are sleeping out for two nights!

Well, time to eat my delicious pancake, eggs, and sausage breakfast.  Then off to see the new Disney movie, Oz, the Great and Powerful, before heading to Epcot.  It's going to be sunny and 81 degrees, making walking two miles around Epcot a pleasure.  I'll do my best to choose wisely at the food kiosks for lunch and hope for a little weight loss tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if some of your undesirable weight flucuations could be from inadequacies of your scale? It's just a thought. It sure sounds like you are doing very well on your exercise.

    I hope you have a great day today. Walking around Epcot sounds fun.

    By the way I don't think your blog sounds whiny.

    Will your daughter let you post some pictures from her Australia trip when she returns? If so that would be fun to see.

    We are excited for later this week in Des Moines. We are supposed to get up to 8 inches of snow today and tomorrow am but by Tuesday the temperature is supposed to be up in the 40's for the rest of the week.(Unless they change the forecast of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    I thought about the scale, too. It's a Weight Watchers digital, but it's almost ten years old. I did some googling on scales and found the fluctuations pretty common. It made me realize that there's probably not a better one to get, so I'll just save the money. I hope Evey will let me put up some of their pictures. It will depend on the way she shares them with me as to whether or not I can get them to go to the blog. Enjoy your snow. At least it sounds like it will melt quickly. It's almost spring, for goodness sake.

    ReplyDelete