Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day, Mark!

Today will be a wonderful Father's Day for Mark, I hope.  I'm taking him to the new Superman movie, treating him to a veggie chili lunch at Downtown Disney, buying him two new WDW suitcases at World of Disney, going with him to the hear the Eagles Tribute Band at Epcot, having dinner on me at Boatwright's in Port Orleans Riverside (a WDW resort), and finishing up the day with more presents from me and the kids.  Should be awesome!

The day is starting off with him cooking me (something wrong with that picture?) a new breakfast recipe.  He's making a "Mexican Breakfast Pizza" from the Diabetic Living Cookbook.  There's a low carb tortilla, with salsa, egg, green chillies, red onion, cheese, black beans, and avocado (for him only.  I hate avocado).  It's supposed to be 204 calories, but I'm subtracting 29 for no avocado.  So that's 175. 

I'm glad breakfast is going to be low because both of the other meals are going to be out.  I have no idea how many calories will be in the other meals.  I'll do my best to guess them for the LoseIt! app, but it's really very hard to do that.  Lunch will be a cup and a half of a 3 bean vegetarian chili at Pollo Campero. I am guessing there is plenty of sodium in that, too.  I usually add some onions, pico de Gallo, and chipotle salsa from the fixins' bar to it and get a fruit cup.  For dinner at Boatwright's, we are splitting two entrees, the vegetarian jambalaya and a Cajun blackened fish that comes with stewed green tomatoes and a fried grit cake.  That might change, but so far that's the plan based on what we saw on the menu online.  We will NOT have appetizers or desserts, and I don't plan to have alcohol,  although I don't mind if Mark wants to have some. It's Father's Day!

This morning proves once again why a serious dieter should NOT get on a scale daily.  I am UP one pound this morning to 266.5.  I am POSITIVE that it is water retention because I had 4,000 mg sodium yesterday, much to my surprise.  2 dill pickles accounted for 1500 of that.  Another 1000 came from a can of green beans.  Who knew?  I don't eat pickles that often, so I'm not worried about repeating that every day.  I do eat a can of green beans frequently at either lunch or dinner.  I guess I could try a low sodium brand next time.

I usually don't look at sodium content because I don't have high blood pressure, but I happened to notice it last night on the app.  I wasn't entirely surprised by the weight gain this morning because of that.  Still, I hate seeing a higher number.  I actually expect an even higher number tomorrow because of eating two meals out today.  Of course, we will be doing a lot of walking today.  It's about a two mile round trip from the car to the concert at Epcot alone, plus walking all around Downtown Disney adds about another mile.  I will also be careful to drink LOTS of water while we are walking all around.  Then tomorrow it's back to the new morning routine of an early walk, weight lifting, and water aerobics.  I just hope to force a two pound loss for the week by Wednesday when it's official.

Except for the high sodium yesterday, everything else went as planned.  I did the weights and I swam 15 minutes of laps.  It started to thunder and lightening, so we had to leave the pool before I did 20 minutes.  I ate exactly what I said I would except I ate 4 jellos and no Popsicles and I added a shot of whiskey on the rocks, bringing my total calories for the day up to 1287,  an excellent day.  That should not mean a gain in actual weight, but 4,000 mg of sodium definitely can mean a gain in water retention.  Because I don't usually monitor sodium intake, I didn't even know what is normal.  I checked a few websites and most say the average American gets about 3500 a day, but that the recommended amount is around 2,000.  One website said for people over 51 it should be only 1500 mg.  I will try to be more aware of it in the future because it's easy to check on the LoseIt! app.  It tracks fiber, fat, sodium, carbs,  and protein automatically along with the calories if the food is a brand name that it knows or a food pre-programmed into it.  If you throw something new at it, it just ignores everything except calories.

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there who might be reading the blog today. I hope you are going to have a wonderful day.  Being a father is a fantastic experience, I'm sure.  (that's based entirely on how great I think it is to be a mother.)  I think of my own father today, as well, as I'm sure many people do.  He passed away in 1988 and rarely a day goes by when I don't think of him or talk about him or quote him.  He had many quotable moments, for sure!  One of my favorite Bill Meese quotes has been how I lived most of my life, unfortunately.  I'm trying to change that idea now, but I still quote him on this many times.

When asked if he wanted to eat, he once said, "I'm not hungry, but I'm always delighted to eat!"

Yeah, that's an attitude I need to change!

No comments:

Post a Comment