Sunday, December 14, 2014

Universal Studios

Today is our day to go see the holiday specials at US.  We will be in both parks because the Grinchmas Show is in Islands of Adventure.  It was really cute last year.  Then we will be in the main park for the Macy's Parade and Mannheim Steamroller's performance at 6 p.m.  It's heading to 70 degrees today for just a little while in the late afternoon, but mostly it's going to be in the 50s and 60s while we are there.  It could easily hit the 40s by the time we leave.  Layers!  That's the answer. I have a long sleeve t-shirt on with a short sleeve one over it.  Now I'm debating how many other coats to take.  I could take a thin hoodie and also a fleece jacket, but when it's 70, I have to carry all that.  Well, I'll figure it out. It's going to be fun.

I have recently discovered an app that came automatically on the new iPhone6.  It's a Health app that's been sitting there looking at me.  On Friday I opened it up for the first time and found some wonderful items.

First of all it acts like a Medical Alert bracelet!  There is a place to program in your medical conditions, allergies, medicines, and emergency contact numbers as well as your age, height, and weight, and anything else you'd like to tell an EMT.  It can also be accessed without knowing the passcode or using a fingerprint.  I filled it all in, but now I'm wondering how many EMTs actually would know to look there or how to open it.  I hope ALL of them!  LOL!

Second it tracks your steps!  No more need to find a fancy pedometer as long as you are carrying the phone in your pocket.  So far I'm not doing too well at all.  Of course, one of the days I was home most of the time, so it was laying on the table most of the day.  I'm sure I took more steps than it said.  Yesterday I only took 439 steps.  Is that really possible?  I admit it was a sort of sedentary day, but it was also not always in my pocket.  In fact when I went to shul it was in my talis bag the whole time.  Still, I bet I didn't go over 1,000 steps even so.  According to this app, since I got the phone on Black Friday, my daily average has been 3,552.   This week that average has gone down to 2,481.  Obviously, when I was in Seattle, touring and walking through airports, the average came up.

Today I'm going to keep it in my pocket, and I bet I easily hit 10,000 steps because there's a lot of walking at a theme park.

One thing it does is make you think about how little or how much movement you are doing. I am putting on weight like CRAZY, and partly that's because I'm moving so much less and eating so much more.  A very dangerous combination!  This morning I was 274. I don't even know how I'm going to walk around two parks all day, but I will do it.  I may have to sit on more benches along the way like I  used to when I was over 300.   When I was over 300, I couldn't even go up or down stairs without holding on to a railing. I needed the support, and I had no sense of balance. I could only walk about two blocks before my back hurt.  Sadly, I am starting to get that way again.  This is NOT GOOD.  I am hoping that checking this Health App everyday will help me get more active.  We shall see.

i think I'm up too much today because I've eaten a lot of high sodium foods for the last three days. There have been two parties and lots of chips.  If I sleep through the night, which I have done for the last two nights, I know I'm retaining fluid.  Two days ago iIwas 270.  Yesterday I was up two, and today I'm up another two.  I'm eating lunch and dinner out today, so that's more sodium.  It will be a depressing weight report tomorrow, I bet.

Meanwhile, I forgot to report about Mark's eyes.  He had his annual opthamologist exam on Wednesday.  The good news is that the diabetic reinopathy is not progressing. In fact, he has very little of that.  Unfortunately, the bad news is that his cataracts are progressing.  They are growing.  The doctor said they are between mild and moderate right now.  He has been complaining about blurry vision for a long time.  His glasses are horribly scratched; he will be getting new ones in January.  He was hoping that's all it was.  The doctor agreed that his glasses are horribly scratched, but he also thinks part of it is the cataracts.  Mark is very interested to see how much improvement he gets once he gets the new prescriptions and lenses in January.  I shall keep you posted.

Well, time to go to Universal Studios.  The current temp in Orlando is 64.  I'm going to bundle up and take gloves!


No comments:

Post a Comment