Sunday, September 10, 2017

Irma is in the Keys.

Carol and Abdul were great yesterday and put up the shutters and completely cleared the lanai.  That's now a worry that is off the table.

Meanwhile, the track has gone a bit further west.  Orlando is not taking a direct hit, although Tampa is.  Our area will probably have winds only up to 64 mph over night tonight, which does not worry me at all with all the preparations Carol and Abdul have done.  The power could go out, but we shall see about that tomorrow.

This morning I had a fasting blood sugar of 122, not at all good.  I had all my meals at home, but I did eat more challah than I should have at lunch.  My total calories yesterday were only 1210 and the total carbs were 121.  That's an excellent day in anybody's book.  I didn't eat anything after 8:30 last night because we had dinner late, at 8 p.m.  At this point, the only way these sugar numbers are going down is probably after a significant weight loss, which takes time.  This morning I was down another half pound to an even 273.  That's an important number to me because it was the weight I was in August of 2015 when we went to Hawaii.  I gained very little weight on that trip, only about a pound and a half, so that was great for me.  So my first mini-goal for this round of weight loss was to hit that number again.  Now my second mini-goal is to get to 255.  That's what I weighed at Lowell's wedding on July 12, 2014.  18 pounds to go to make that goal, and I'm going to try very hard to make it.

Most weight loss studies show that a 10% loss in weight makes a huge difference in health.  For me that would depend on when you count it from.  On March 14, after the fifth cruise in three months, I hit my peak for this year, 295.  In fact that's the peak for the last EIGHT years because that was the weight I had in the doctor's office in April of 2009 when I was recently down from my all-time high of 322.  If I count the 10% from the 295 in March, then I needed to lose 29.5 pounds, and I have actually now lost 22 pounds from that, an average of nearly a pound a week.  That's not fast, but I guess it's still acceptable.  So in seven and a half more pounds, at 265.5, I will make that 10%.  I will not be satisfied with that, but it's an excellent start.

Unfortunately, if I continue to lose at about a pound a week, it will take about 8 weeks to do that.  In the next 8 weeks I have a Magical Dining night, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Succoth, and a 12 night cruise out of Quebec City.  NONE of these things in the past have been conducive to weight loss for me.  These are HUGE challenges.  Perhaps worrying about the blood sugars will keep me honest.

Today we are meeting former students of mine, Jon Neale and his sister Jen.  I taught both of them at Woodlawn High School back in the early 1990s.  We bonded over our mutual love of Star Trek back then, and we have remained friends ever since!  Today we are going to see Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on the big screen at Arundel Mills Mall.  We have both seen it many times, but Jon said he had never seen it on a big screen. That did it for me!  His birthday is Thursday, so I am taking him and Jen to the movies and buying all their snacks as a birthday present.  It will be like old times watching a Star Trek movie with the two of them.

After the movie, we are meeting Lowell, Emily, and her parents, Phil and Pat, at Seasons 52 in Columbia.  I have already checked out the menu, which posted calorie counts.  I will have the grilled trout with mashed potatoes and veggies for 490 calories and 28 carbs.  That's great.  Mark is having the same.  Then we plan to split the cannoli dessert, giving us each another 15 carbs.  If there is nothing else, then my dinner is only 43 carbs and 565 calories. That's perfect.  My day today will be 1335 calories and 149 carbs, another great day.  I expect to have a blood sugar in the 110-120 range again, but I really believe there is nothing I can do about it until more weight is lost or the doctor decides to put me on some meds.  I see the doctor on September 27.  Between now and then, I will continue to try to lose weight and count every calorie and carb so that I have lots of ammunition to show her that I'm doing my best.

OKAY Irma!  Bring it on.  We are all waiting to see what you are going to do tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment