Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Weight report and family physician visit

My weight this morning was excellent.  I weighed in at 267.4, a loss of SIX and a HALF pounds for the week.  That's insane.  I know there had to be some water retention that decided to leave, but we also walked nearly 7 miles at the Magic Kingdom between 5:30 and 11:30 p.m. for the Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.

I did collect the candy after all.  At 10:15 at night, I only had two little packs of Skittles in my bag, and I ate them as a snack during the fireworks because I was genuinely hungry.  We hit up some trick-or-treat areas after the fireworks, so I did end up with a full bag of candy eventually. Then at 11:30 on the tram out to the parking lot, I ate a tiny mini-Milky Way.  I gave everything in my bag that had nuts in it to Mark, but on the last couple of candy stops, I asked them not to give me things with nuts.  When I got home, I put the bag in the spare bedroom so I don't have to look at it.  I'm sure if I just have one or two small pieces at bedtime as a snack, like Mark does, it will not be a problem.  The problem is sitting with the bag on my lap in front of the TV and eating non-stop through an entire TV show.  Trust me!  I've done it.  There will be no candy tonight, however.
,
Needless to say, I was very encouraged with this weight loss.  I've now lost 28 1/2 pounds since the end of a cruise on March 14.  That's 4-5 pounds per month, so it's not fast, but it's steady and healthy.  If I can get through all of our parties, restaurants, and cruises and continue a pound a week, I will be very happy.

I am proud of myself for successfully eating out four times this week and still losing 6 1/2 pounds.  Wow!

This upcoming week will have an equal number of challenges, and then we go on the Canadian cruise for two weeks.  I am just going to try very, very hard!

We have company coming for dinner in about twenty minutes.  Mark has made a Diabetic Living brisket recipe with cooked carrots, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.  We have two kinds of parve cookies, Vegan Rugelach and Linzer Tortes. Mark is going to plate my food, so that I only get the exact amount that I'm entitled to.  I have already programmed that in plus one of each kind of cookie.  As long as I don't reach for seconds on anything, today will also be a good day.

We just got back from seeing the family physician about the pre-diabetes, my sugar numbers, and my thirst.  When Mark saw her back in June, we were not that impressed, but today she seemed much nicer and more friendly.  She took a lot of time with me.  She was not too concerned about my blood sugar numbers because she saw that I was down 14 pounds from when I saw the Nurse Practitioner in July. She also explained my thirst, which started around August 11 or 12, by the two new meds I started taking on August 10.  There was ten days of prednisone then, too.  She said both the generic Xantac and the Flonase are types of antihistamines which are going to dry me out.  Well, duh!  Never even thought of that.  In general my blood work wasn't bad.  I was surprised by my blood pressure, 148/66.  That was definitely not normal for me.  She said she would take it again before I left, but we all forgot to do that.  I might take it at home tomorrow morning or maybe later tonight after the company  leaves.

In general, I thought it was a good visit.  She spent a lot of time counseling me on food intake. Mark and I already knew almost all that she said.  She would not designate an amount of carbs that I should consume at each meal or even daily. She felt that I should eat far more calories than I am, maybe as high as 2000.  I told her I was sure that would NOT work for me, but she was not convinced.  She suggested I spread my calories more evenly through the day, 450 at each meal and two 200 calorie snacks for a total of 1750 calories.  I have no intention of doing that, although I did agree that I could work on spreading the numbers out a little better than I have been doing. When eating in restaurants, more calories come at dinner, obviously.  When I'm at home, I could increase breakfast and lunch a little bit without breaking the whole diet plan.

In the upcoming week, I will be either eating out or hosting friends for a dinner party EIGHT times!  It is certainly going to be a challenge.  I'll be sure to report back next Wednesday about where my weight and blood sugar numbers stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment