Wednesday, September 6, 2017

"Of course you can change your ticket without charge. We know it's coming."

That was what Amtrak told me this morning when I called to inquire about changing our auto train ticket from this Friday to Sunday the 17th.  He even said that if we change our mind again and don't want to go back on the 17th, no problem.  Call, change, no charge!  I love Amtrak!

The decision to stay put in Maryland instead of heading home and into Hurricane Irma created a whole host of other changes.  We are spending the day calling doctors to change appointments, pharmacies to get prescriptions sent up to the local CVS, emailing to change all of our social obligations like Mah Jongg games, dinners out, and WDW plans.  Evey and Eric are supposed to fly in on Tuesday the 12th for four nights and lots of plans.  We were going to join them for most of the plans.  At this point, we are now out of their plans, but she has not cancelled.  She plans to wait until Friday to see and make a decision.  Friday was too late for us to change Amtrak since that was the day we were scheduled on the train.  I feel that we have let a lot of people down, including Evey and Eric, but we just felt that we needed to err on the side of safety.  Now we can only pray that all of our friends and neighbors in Irma's path have their hurricane supplies laid in and come through it safely.  Who knows what the hurricane will really bring.  It's very frightening.

 Meanwhile, it is also weigh-in Wednesday. Finally, it was good.  I am officially down 1 and 1/2 pounds for the week, and I'm thrilled.  It's been so hard to lose any weight lately, so this was very nice.  I was 275.2 this morning, down from 277 yesterday morning and 276.7 last Wednesday.  I hope it continues!

Also this morning I got a fasting blood sugar of 129, which could mean that I am officially a diabetic IF I get a reading that high again.  Two in a row gives the official diagnosis, and 126 was the cut-off number.  I passed that today.  I have had slightly high sugars every time that I have tested, both fasting and after meals.  Nothing good. I'm very unhappy about this.  Type II diabetics who are overweight can usually undo all of the problems just by losing weight, so clearly that is the first line of defense.  I can only say that I am trying to do that.

My excessive thirst and consequently frequent urination has continued, and the blood sugar numbers do not seem to be high enough to justify how bad the thirst and excessive urination has become.  So I googled other possibilities for that.  There are dozens!  Two seem likely if it's not just Type II diabetes, but I'm not getting alarmed about either one yet.  I am planning on calling my doctor today to schedule an appointment to discuss this when I get back after the hurricane.  There really isn't anything else I can do at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment