Friday, September 29, 2017

Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement

Tonight begins the most solemn day of the Jewish year, Yom Kippur.  The fast begins about 6:15 as we drive from the restaurant to the synagogue.  We will break the fast in the building at about 8 p.m. tomorrow night.

In between will be lengthy, marathon sessions of praying for forgiveness against our fellow man and against God.  We have been working on asking for forgiveness from our friends and family since Rosh Hashanah ended.  Beginning tonight, we are trying to make everything right with God in order to be written AND SEALED in the Book of Life for another year.  I know that some of this is probably just metaphors, but it's hard to resist the image of God with the Book open all day and then as sundown approaches, he is slowly closing the Book and closing the Gate to Him until next year.  Everyone hurries to get their last prayers in before it is all closed up, praying fervently that our names are written in there before the Book is closed.

During the day today, Mark and I have done some errands and then went to Sea World to renew our annual passes and have another free lunch on our Passholder Dining plan.  Unfortunately, our favorite counter service restaurant, the Spice Mill, has dropped the vegetarian chili and substituted either a fried fish sandwich or a chickpea burger sandwich.  We both ordered the fried fish, which comes with fries and then we took a garden salad and coffee as our side and drink.  Mark was smart, as usual, and ate none of the bun and half the fries.  I was not smart and ate everything.  Oh, my! It was delicious.  I can't remember the last time I ate a fried fish sandwich.  This piece of fish was so long that it could have used two buns to hold it.  Instead, I cut it in half and ate two open-faced sandwiches.  So, I was just not making good choices. It's very hard to put the calories into the Lose It app for restaurant food, but as near as I could program it, I had about 800 calories and 92 carbs.  That's WAY too many carbs, so I'm going to test my blood sugar soon when it's two hours after the meal just to see what happened.  It would not be too many calories if that was my one big meal of the day, and I ate a salad with a can of tuna on it like I sometimes do for lunch.  Unfortunately, at 5 p.m. we are driving down the road a mile or so and eating dinner at Landry's, our Erev Yom Kippur tradition for these six years.  This year we have vowed to skip the bread, appetizers, and desserts. I will also skip the alcohol.  That should all help my carb count a little bit.

Meanwhile, if I have not asked yet, please forgive me for anything I may have said or done, either knowingly or unknowingly, this past year that hurt your feelings, offended you, or in anyway upset you.  I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me, and I promise to try my best to do better in the future.

We had a great time at Amatista Cookhouse for dinner last night at Universal Resort for the Magical Dining in the Sapphire Falls hotel.  I did not overdo it there and made reasonable choices.  The Blue Man Group show was outstanding.  Here are some pictures from the Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party and our night at Universal Resorts.  There will be no more blogs until Sunday afternoon at the earliest.

For those who are observing Yom Kippur, may you have an easy and meaningful fast, and may you be SEALED in the Book of Life for another year.











No comments:

Post a Comment