Monday, September 25, 2017

Vocal Nodes update and Shingles

Don't panic!  I don't have shingles!  I did get the shingles vaccine today, however, and it's been something I've been meaning to do for a long time.  I happened to be in CVS, so I asked if Medicare covered it and how much it would cost.  Medicare covers all but $45.46, and they had the vaccine ready.  I thought that was a good price because before I had Medicare, my insurance did not cover any of it.  The cost was around $300 without insurance.  I'm pretty happy that I did it because back in the early 1980s, I did get the shingles when Lowell got the chicken pox.  I have no desire to get it again!

It was also all GOOD NEWS from the ENT.  Well, no, the singing voice is not back yet, but it is improving.  He did not do the endoscope to look at it today, but he will do it in six weeks when I return on November 3.  He said in 17 years at that practice, he has only had 3 patients that did not recover from vocal nodes with the same conservative treatment he is using on me, although it takes three to four months.  Next time if they are not gone, I will continue the treatment but also start the speech therapy twice a week for six weeks, which Medicare will cover.

So the conservative treatment consists of Flonase, Xantac, NO SINGING, minimal talking or at least stop when I feel the voice is getting tired or harder to produce a tone, and TONS of water for constant hydration.  He did say if I have a drink or two on the cruise ship that's okay as long as whenever I take an alcoholic drink be sure to follow it with an equal amount of water.  Whiskey and a water chaser, right?  I can do that!  Also he's okay with having TWO cups of coffee in the morning with two cups of water afterwards, AND he said he's okay with my one cup of decaf around 3 or 4 in the afternoon with a cup of water.  BUT absolutely nothing but water after dinner.  Last night I had a decaf in the restaurant at 7:15 p.m. and I woke up several times during the night with my entire mouth dry as a bone.  He blamed that decaf for that effect.

Anyway, I can continue this regiment for up to four months if I can have my singing voice back at the end of that time.  He saw no reason why I would not be able to sing normally once the nodes are completely gone.

All good news!

Now I'm going to go play Mah Jongg.  Maybe I'll even win some games today.

No comments:

Post a Comment