Wednesday, June 23, 2010

More hiking

It's Wednesday morning, and LOOK, I'm typing another blog. That's two days in a row!

Mark and I took another hour long hike yesterday morning. We went up a giant hill named Cardiac Hill (for good reason) and then entered the actual Nature Trail from the correct end, which is where we exited on Monday. LOL We stuck to the officially marked "Easy Trail" and finished in an hour. Good workout. Later a guy by the pool told us there are bears up there and the locals don't walk there anymore. Hm...not sure we believe him because two days in a row up there we never saw any bears.

I had an excellent breakfast of two scrambled Egg Beaters and two pieces of whole wheat toast with a little bit of strawberry jam on it plus black coffee. That was about the lowest calorie breakfast on the menu, so I'm planning to have it again this morning. I ate nothing until four hours later for lunch, the tuna salad platter, which was basically a big plate of lettuce and other salad veggies plus a scoop of delicious tuna salad. Not a bad choice. Then we played three games of water volleyball on teams of three. Mark was on the opposite team from me. Although my team took the first game, his team easily beat us on the next two games. Then all members of the two teams sat in the hot tub for a half hour to warm up.

I had some time to relax and read by the pool even though it rained a little. I was waiting for Happy Hour at 5 p.m. Oops!! That's when my diet plan for the day went seriously SOUTH. At the bar I ordered the $2.50 special Happy Hour drink: a Sloe Gin Fizz. I haven't had one of those in decades, but it used to be my regular drink. It was AWESOME, better than I remembered. So I had another one. Ooops. Then there was the bowl of potato chips and pretzels sitting in front of me. Another Oooops. Then there was the bag of spicy barbeque chips one of my volleyball teammates handed me. The third Ooooops. At dinner I had the grilled salmon, plain baked potato, green beans, and salad no dressing. All good. Then the final Ooooooops of the night, a very LARGE slab of apple crisp with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. I did scrape off half of the plate and gave it to my friend, so at least I only ate half of this huge dessert. Still, I think I had two-thirds of my calories for the day starting at 5 p.m. Happy Hour. Not untypical for me really.

Still, I am down one pound today, 217, most likely due to the hiking and volleyball. I hope to do the same thing again today.

One funny note: our motel room door is warped and sticks horribly. I have been unable to open it at all even banging hard. Mark usually gives it a hard shoulder push to get it open. Last night after dinner Mark was still talking to our friends, but I was feeling overstuffed from the food and wanted to go back to the room. I knew I might not be able to get in, but I was sort of determined in my mind to make it happen. Well, it happened, but it wasn't good. I gave it the hardest lunge with my left shoulder that I could, while my right hand was turning the key. The door flew open and I fell forward into the room. The chest of drawers is just inside, so I careened off that, twisted, and fell sideways onto the bed. Thankfully I only wrenched my shoulder, banged my elbow, twisted my knee, and smashed a finger. Ha ha!! Sounds like a lot, but I'm all fine this morning. I was mostly scared that I was going to hit the floor or my head on the dresser, but I was able to stop the fall with the bed. It was very scary, but HEY, I opened the door all by myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment