Saturday, November 17, 2012

Doctor Visit Notes

I knew going in that she wouldn't like my weight.  I already told you yesterday that it was up from my previous visit.  Yes, I was 262.5 on her scale, even though it was after breakfast and with clothes.  I think this is the only office scale that is actually close or less than my home scale. Usually I weigh as many as four pounds more in a doctor's office.  That was good news.

My cholesterol is excellent, although 20 years on statin drugs should guarantee that.

I have a raging sinus infection, so she prescribed ten days of amoxicillin to clear that up. I have not had a fever, so that is why I didn't suspect an infection.  The pounding sinus headaches should have given me a clue.  She laughed when she looked up my nose!  She said the gunk in my nose was the same bright yellow color as the t-shirt I was wearing.  LOL!

Then there is the sugar.  In October I had blood drawn for the oncologist, and the fasting sugar was 91, an excellent number.   Yesterday I had a 103.  That's my highest yet.  I had a 100 eight months ago in this doctor's office.  At that time she told me to lose weight because 100 meant diabetes. I did lose six pounds and got a 98 in her office four months ago.  The weight is back and so is the higher sugar number.  Damn!

She told me I MUST lose weight and I MUST NOT gain another ounce because if I come back in March with more weight, she guarantees my sugars will be sky high and she will put me on diabetic meds.  This is my chance to reverse this right here and now.

Of course the timing sucks.  Evey and Eric come tonight and there is massive amounts of eating out to be done.  Lowell comes next Wednesday and there is a huge, high-carb Thanksgiving Day menu planned.  Then there are THREE cruises before I see her in March.

NO EXCUSES.  As Nike says, "JUST DO IT."

When the surgeon scared me with phrases like "and then you'll DIE!", I made no excuses. I cried for thirty minutes in the car as I talked to Mark and Evey on the phone.  Then I went home to the Passover seder dinner and took small servings and no seconds.  The next day I took a 20 minute walk, which at that weight was difficult.  In seven months I lost 75 pounds, despite holidays and vacations.  I went from 295 to 220 from April to November.

Can I do it again?

Can the threat of diabetes forever and more oral meds, if not insulin, be as scary as death from a hernia?

Can I dredge up the will power I had before?

Can I make myself go out and walk every day?

I don't know.  I did well yesterday. I ate 1250 calories.  I did not exercise, but I DO have a sinus infection. My head was throbbing all day, so I just sat still once we got home from the doctor.

Today is a new day.  Breakfast and lunch are at home.  At 4:00 we pick up Evey and Eric at the airport. YAY!!  I'm very excited, but then there will dinner out at the Orlando Ale House and dessert at a special ice cream shop where they flash-freeze your custom made flavor right in front of you.  We could skip it, but it was a Living Social coupon that will expire before the kids leave, so we need to use it up.

So here's the plan for today.  I have eaten a good breakfast, and lunch will also be good at home.  Dinner: no alcohol, no bread, nothing fried, no dessert, plenty of salad, vegetables, and grilled fish.  Dessert at the ice cream shop?  They have sugar free ice cream and sugar free mix-ins and small sizes.  That's Mark's plan, so now that is my plan, too.

As for exercise, Mark plans to go to the gym for his weights today.  If my head isn't hurting, I will go, too.  I have to say that this morning I took my third amoxicillin pill and my head is not throbbing. I feel clogged and I still have laryngitis, but the intense headache of the last three days has eased up somewhat.  I hope I feel like doing the weights and taking a walk. 

And one last question, if I am successful again at getting my weight close to 200, can I keep it there forever?  That's a BIG question.

Finally, there may not be many blogs for awhile.  I will probably make quick Facebook posts for those who are my friends there.  With the kids here, there is just not going to be much down time to sit around and write blogs.  I'll try to catch everyone up on things and post pictures whenever I have a chance and certainly after they have gone home.

I don't remember if I posted our plans for this week on the blog. If I did, you can skip the rest of this blog. If not, here it is...

Saturday: pick Evey and Eric up at the airport at 4, go home and unpack, dinner at Ale House, dessert at ice cream shop;

Sunday: Islands of Adventure;

Monday: Epcot and Hollywood Studios;

Tuesday: ICE! at Gaylord Palms, lunch at Downtown Disney, dinner at Sweet Tomatoes;

Wednesday: check out Solivita, lunch at Subway, get Lowell at airport at 2, air boat ride, ATT store, dinner at home;

Thursday: TURKEY DAY, massive amounts of cooking and eating;

Friday: horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness, lunch at Qdoba, Shabbat dinner at home (leftovers!);

Saturday: everybody back to the airport and heading home.

Geez, I'm tired already, and I'm praying the amoxicillin works its magic so that this infection does not slow me down.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment