Sunday, November 25, 2012

Quiet House

When you have five people living in a house, only two seems very quiet.  Sigh.

Everyone got home safely yesterday.  Evey and Eric had to have about an hour wait in Phoenix for a connecting flight, finally getting home around 1 a.m., so it was a long day for them.  Lowell had only a two hour flight and made it to his house in MD with a sweet doggy homecoming. He sent me the video!  LOL

I had to sing "Maoz Tsur" and "Oh, Hanukkah" at the Chimer's concert last night.  I guess it went ok.  My voice has not fully returned since the cold/sinus infection.  Everyone said I did OK, so I guess I did.  Only I know that it didn't feel right, so I'm sure it could have sounded better.  On the other hand, the concert was great.  I have to give these people credit.  The lady who started the chimes had never played one before.  She decided she wanted to do it, so she bought the chimes herself and just did it, and now this is their tenth year.  There were around two dozen people playing, most do not read music.  They had a drummer who had a snare, a triangle, jingle bells, and a tambourine.  There was a pianist and a guitarist accompanying as well.  It was pretty clever programming, most of it being a sing-a-long of Christmas carols, but interspersed was the Rondalla group (seven players of guitars and mandolins), the classical guitarist, a lady telling the story of Hanukkah before I sang my two songs, and a few featured songs just for the chimers.  There were also great refreshments at intermission, beautiful decorations, and lots of door prizes.  I loved the sound of the chimes and the festive mood of the evening.  It was an honor to be part of it.

Today we are going to go see the movie Lincoln. Mark read that Lincoln is the one who established Thanksgiving as the last Thursday in November on October 3, 1863.  So it seems like the right thing to do today to go see that movie while it's still part of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.  When we come back home, I'm going to make a huge pot of turkey soup.  I hardly ever cook anything all year, but I really enjoy making a turkey for holidays and then soup from the leftovers.  The house is going to smell so good this afternoon!

Now for the weight issues.  I didn't even mention it on Wednesday because I was too busy and excited thinking about picking Lowell up.  Hm...of course the weight isn't too good.  Two weeks ago at the doctor's office I weighed 262.  I behaved myself that day and a for a few days after Evey and Eric arrived.  By Tuesday morning I had dropped a little.  Then I got sick from the amoxicillin and dropped some more.  Last Wednesday I actually weighed only 254, a loss of 8 pounds in five days.  Of course, once I felt healthy again and started eating, the weight rolled back. In three days I gained ten pounds, so that yesterday morning I checked my weight and found it was 264.  Pretty amazing.  Fortunately, this morning I'm only 261, so I guess that's not unreasonable for a visit with the kids, lots of eating out, and plenty of overeating from holiday food in the house.  Now I will get back to normal.  Mark is making his low-carb biscuits this morning and scrambled eggs.  Can't wait.

There is a little good news about the weight.  Because I had gotten up to 264, I was worried my blood sugar would be high.  The doctor has gotten a 100 and a 103 when I was over 260, so I used Mark's kit to test my sugar yesterday morning. I was 264 on the scale, but the sugar was 89.  Now THAT'S what I like to see!

Here are a few pictures from yesterday.










No comments:

Post a Comment