Monday, July 20, 2015

Monday, Monday

My weight stayed the same this week.  Down one tenth, which is nothing because the scale has a margin of error of two tenths.  I am happy with that.

Evey finished reading the book that I sent her, Body of Truth.  She agreed that it did sound a lot like my life.  She agreed with the author that at this stage of my life and after my history of yo-yo dieting, it is unlikely that I can lose a significant amount of weight anymore.  She did ask me if I took away any message from the book.  I said I think I learned to try to relax about the dieting a bit.  She said I hoped I learned that being generally active, healthy, and happy is the main point.  She is so right, as always.  Love my smart daughter!

I do believe that I am generally active, healthy, and happy.  So there is that.

On the other hand, at this weight of 273.8, there are two problems.  First,  I no longer fit in a lot of my favorite rides at the theme parks.  That's not a huge problem.  I can still spend a day walking six or seven miles around the parks, even in blistering heat.  I just have to sit out some of the rides I like.  I don't like most of them anyway!  LOL!  Second, there are some medical procedures that are difficult at a higher weight.  Back in the 1980s, when I weighed in the upper 280s,  hospital staff had difficulty setting IVs.  I was also told that an xray of my knee, when I had bursitis, had poor resolution because I was too fat.  I weighed about 280 that day.  I cannot fit into a regular MRI machine unless I am under 225 pounds.  I went to the ER in Laurel once with diverticulitis and was told they could not do an MRI on me to diagnose it definitively because they did not have an open MRI machine and I would not fit in their regular machine. 

So there are definitely some reasons why I should be unhappy at this weight and work to lower it.  I don't need to be a "normal" weight of 135 for my height.  I am realistic enough to know that it is an unrealistic goal.  I do feel that I'd be more active, healthier, and happier if I was closer to 225.  At that weight I could fit in any ride and use a regular MRI machine. 

I believe that losing 50 pounds is an attainable objective, but I also know that it could take a year or more to accomplish.  Guess I'll get started today.

Meanwhile, Lowell and Emily seem to have had a wonderful time in Key West.  They were there from last Wednesday through Sunday.  It never rained, and it looks like they did everything they wanted to do.  I will see them on August 2 in Phoenix when we meet to board the same plane to Hawaii.

Also, now Mark has two health problems.  Half a tooth and an entire filling fell out at dinner Friday night.  It's not hurting, so he has an appointment on Wednesday afternoon to fix it.

Second he may have Afib, a very common problem.  He's noticed symptoms, maybe every two months, for several years.  Finally we went to a cardiologist last week.  He is having a stress test tomorrow, an echocardiogram next Monday, and wearing a heart monitor for three weeks beginning at the end of August.  Hopefully, if he really has Afib, something will show up in one of these tests.  If not, I guess the doctor will have to do more tests or think of another diagnosis.  We shall see.

Today I am taking the proposal to remove a tree at the end of our driveway up to the powers that be at AV Homes.  Then I'll play Mah Jongg at my neighbor's house and end the day with an SOJC choir rehearsal.  All my meals will be eaten at home and should be very healthy.  It's a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment