Thursday, July 2, 2015

Schmeised at TL, NARFE, the Villages

Yesterday was insanely crazy yet wonderful.  We went to Typhoon Lagoon yesterday specifically to see the show involving characters from the Teen Beach 2 movie.  Apparently, actual actors from the show were there in May near the opening of the show.  Our show was just Disney college kids dressed up as some of the characters getting kids to participate in games like balloon toss and beach ball games.  It was fine, though.

What really kicked our butts was the wave pool!  Since we had not been there in over 25 years, we did not remember what that pool was like.  As soon as I arrived, I lotioned up and went in.  It was cool, clean, wonderful.  It had some gentle waves that were fun to jump through or float on.  I played for awhile and then noticed Mark was coming in.  So we both went out to about three to four foot depth and enjoyed those gentle waves.  Then they stopped and it was just like a pool.  Mark commented that he really liked it calm like that.  We heard a whistle, watched the boat impaled on a tree that's above the back of the wave pool blow water out of its spout, and then the horror began!

A ten foot wave was generated.  Now, we were far back in only about three foot depth, so we just stood there like idiots watching it roll toward us.  It didn't take long to hit us, knock us down and underwater, and carry our glasses and hats away.  Panic, not because I got knocked down and went under water. I didn't mind that and might have enjoyed it, but my GLASSES were gone. These are $700 prescription glasses that turn dark in the sun, so also my sunglasess.  The Minnie Mouse hat could be easily and cheaply replaced, but how would I drive home without my glasses.  Once I was standing again, I caught Mark's eyes and his glasses were also gone.  (This could all explain why very few people were out there with hats and glasses on!)

Almost immediately we started looking through the crystal clear water to find them.  I found a pair of sunglasses, picked them up, and hollered that I had them.  The owner was near me and claimed them.  I started hollering out, "Has anyone found a pair of glasses?"  In just short order my glasses and my hat were restored to me.  Thank God.

Mark was not so lucky.  Within two minutes I had both of my items.  We were still looking on the bottom for his glasses when the next humongous wave hit.  I grabbed my glasses and hat in hand and ran faster than I knew I could to the shallower water.  The wave hit me; I went down and under; I stood back up still holding my hat and glasses.  Then we realized that huge wave wasn't just a one time wonder.  They continued every five minutes for an HOUR AND A HALF!!  We actually read up on these waves later on the way home.  That giant wave is generated every NINETY SECONDS for NINETY minutes all day long.  There is only a 30 minute period of calm waves and no waves between the cycles.  Since we had NOT read that in advance, I realized that our timing was such that I had just entered the pool at the start of the calm period! 

We walked and walked around the shallower water for an hour looking for his glasses.  We talked to all the lifeguards roaming around in the back.  They assured us that glasses were too big for the drains and always washed up on shore eventually or were turned in by other patrons.  When they got them, they put them at their station and every half hour another person collected the lost items and took them to guest services.  The wave hit us at 11 a.m.  We walked around the water until 11:30.  Our legs were tired by then because it's hard wading through water and fighting waves.

Then we sat on a bench built into the rocks in the shallow end for awhile.  I walked around the shallow end again for awhile and sat again for awhile.  We talked about what we would do if they didn't turn up.  Eventually, we decided to do the half hour ride through the lazy river in a tube.  That was fun.  When we got back from that, it was almost time for the waves to stop.  We took advantage of the calm to wander around looking for the glasses, but we realized that after ninety minutes it was really a lost cause.  We headed up to guest services to see if by any chance they were there.  Our plan was to keep checking back every hour.

Lo and behold! His glasses were already at guest services!  Thank GOD!  He was so happy!

Then, while we were near the entrance at guest services and our belonging were WAY over on the other side of the beach, an announcement was made that inclement weather with thunder and lightening was moving in and all water attractions were closed.  We were told to leave the beach and seek shelter.  YIKES!  We walked as fast as we could in the opposite direction of the thousands evacuating.  We got our stuff, but we were in pouring rain with thunder by then.  I was holding my cell phone and camera at the time, so I tried to tuck them inside my wet bathing suit and in my hands to keep them dry.  We grabbed our stuff from our chairs, and I put my phone and camera in my beach bag, slung it over my shoulder, and put a towel over us.  We slogged our way back to the main entrance to go to the locker.  It was past lunch time, and with all that walking, we were pretty hungry.  Mark got his wallet out.  Comedy of errors!  The wallet chose that moment to disintegrate in his hands and drop its contents down into a puddle.  He is holding a beach bag, several towels, my other pair of shoes, and trying to pick up credit cards and a driver's license at the same time!  Hey, at least he had his glasses on by then!

He got all his stuff together and we made our way to the lunch spot.  By the time we got there, the rain was letting up.  I sat at my choice of wet picnic tables, threw some towels down to dry it off a bit because, after all, the towels were already soaked anyway.  I sat totally wasted and exhausted at the table while Mark stood in line to get cheese pizza and diet soda.  It took him half an hour.  I don't know how he did it.  While he was in line, the rain stopped and the water attractions reopened.

The rest of the day went as we thought it would.  It was bright and sunny and hot.  We ate lunch, found another beach chair to park our stuff on, took a walk around the rest of the park, viewed the different areas including the Shark Reef and saw the Teen Beach 2 show we came for.  By then, we both had legs and feet that were beyond hurting.  They were now cramping badly and it was 4 p.m. Time to head out.

On the way out, I treated myself to a Micky ice cream bar.  After all, July is National Ice Cream Month!

When we got home, we both took Advil.  Mark also had a vodka and tonic!  Hey, it was diet tonic water and he drank it for the anti-cramping properties of the quinine.  Right.  I would have had that, too, but in an hour, I had two ladies coming to the house to play Mah Jong.  I didn't think I needed to have vodka right then.

I couldn't even make it up back 10:30.  I fell into bed totally wasted, totally exhausted, totally happy.

Today we have another over-programmed day.  In a minute we are heading out to Plant City for the monthly NARFE meeting.  Then Mark will do the week's grocery shopping, followed by a trip up to The Villages with Susie and Ed for a tapas dinner with singing waiters.  They will sing operatic arias, so that's going to be fun.

Mark and I have agreed that programming this many things on one day has got to stop!  LOL!

Enjoy these pictures from Typhoon Lagoon.



Right after the Lazy River ride, no glasses found yet.

Wearing my new bathing suit.

Glasses found!

Snorkelers at Shark Reef

A view of the wave pool from the end where the waves start.  We were in that big crowd way in the back.

Watching the Teen Beach 2 show.



No comments:

Post a Comment