Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Nacogdoches

First, I had an excellent day with food yesterday, and this morning I am 268.3.  Awesome.  That's 1/2 pound down from  where I was when we left last Tuesday.  Weight loss is so weird and unpredictable! I should have another great day today and really for the rest of the week.  We have no plans to eat anywhere other than Subway and Denny's until next Monday's lunch when we are in Austin.

Sadly, my stomach is feeling very unhappy this morning.  I brought cherries with me from home and ate about a cup of them last night.  I threw the rest out this morning because they may have been past their prime.  I got sick for two days a few weeks ago from eating cherries like that.  These seemed fine, but I guess they weren't.  I hope it doesn't slow me down.

Also today we are going to go to an Urgent Care place to have Mark's stitches removed.  It's eight days since the skin surgery.  Today there is plenty of time to go to a place like that and three right nearby to choose from.

We drove about three hours north to Nacogdoches yesterday.  It was a pretty easy drive.  We went straight to Millard's Crossing, a village of restored buildings moved to one location and filled with antiques from one lady, Lela Millard Thomas, who collected them for a lifetime. She actually became a U.S. Representative from Texas after her husband passed away.  She filled out his term and was the first woman Congressperson from Texas. There were 11 buildings including a store, a caboose, two log cabins, several Victorian era homes, a school house, a corn crib full of tools, a Methodist church, and a parsonage.  The church, parsonage, and one of the homes can be rented for weddings or parties.  Everything was very interesting, and we took a self-guided walking tour for about two hours.

Today we will spend the rest of the day in Nacogdoches as well and then drive to Huntsville.  I will write about those things tomorrow morning, meanwhile, here are yesterday's photos.


Sam Houston's chair

Thinking about cooking on an old stove

Gas anyone?

Dog trot house....we were reading about this typical old Texas style in our Michener book.  This one is being restored right now, so there wasn't anything to see inside yet.

Trying to write with a quill pen in the old schoolhouse.  Not so easy.

Lela Millard Thomas, US Congresswoman and antique collector who put together this group of buildings.

My personal cowboy heading into his log home.

No comments:

Post a Comment