Monday, October 2, 2017

Monday, Monday

The High Holidays are over, and they were excellent.  Our synagogue does have very long services, but they are excellent ones.  The spirituality and the friendships among the people are heart-warming. My little choir of 11 singers did a wonderful job, even though some of the time it was a little less than the total for a variety of good reasons.

We did do what we said we would do at Landry's for the Friday night dinner.  We had no appetizer or dessert.  I did take a small piece of the excellent garlic bread and ordered a Crown Royal Apple on the rocks to help lower my sugar.  Our entree was blackened grouper, string beans, and a baked potato.  The potato was huge, and I did not eat all of it.  During the fast, because I needed to take Advil for my knee, I did eat two hard boiled eggs (no carbs!) in the morning but then nothing else until the break the fast, which came at 8:15 p.m.  I even did very well at that meal, but my sugar numbers never seem to be affected by any of that.  I was still around 110-120 every single day.

Yesterday I made a huge boo-boo.  We checked out of the hotel, went to Winn-Dixie to shop, and then got home.  A neighbor came over to talk about the auto train, and a friend called to talk about something that had happened to her over the weekend.  Finally, I started to unpack....YIKES.  I left my laptop in the hotel room.  GEEZ.  I called them, and they had it.  We immediately drove over and got it, so that's a credit to the honesty of the housekeeping staff at the Comfort Inn!  What a scary moment.

Now last night I was BAD.  I had an excellent day all day right up until about 10 p.m. when I began to binge on my Halloween candy.  I started out counting it and logging it in.  I had three  Milky Way minis and a large Lemonhead.  If I had stopped there, the day would have been fine in both calories and carbs, but I did not stop.  That just set me off.  I sat the candy bag on the coffee table in front of me and kept reaching in over and over for nearly half an hour until Mark noticed and took the bag away from me.  Geez, like a bad kid, but I deserved it.  I have no idea how much I ate, how many calories, or how many carbs.  Ridiculous.  This morning my sugar was 121, which is not horrible. It wasn't the highest or lowest morning sugar reading, so I was somewhat relieved because with all that candy so late at night, I thought I might have had a very high reading.

Well, I just have to try harder today, although we are having lunch at the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot.  The good thing is that all the walking helps.

On another topic, I had sent a letter to my sister Flyn about things that I did that were less than sisterly towards her and for which I felt I needed to ask forgiveness before Yom Kippur.  She called last night and we talked for an hour and a half. It was a great conversation, and of course, she forgave me.  And I forgave her for the slights she felt that she had done to me.  It was one of the best conversations we have had in a long time.  I felt wonderful after it.  Yeah, and then I binged on candy, so go figure!

All day long I had a horrible pain behind my right hip.  It felt like a terrible muscle spasm.  In fact, I could not straighten up at all the whole day and even got my cane out, which really didn't help much. Even sitting it just was a dull ache all day long.  Then when I went to bed last night, I found that lying on my left side completely took away the pain on the right side.  Weird.  I was up at 3 a.m. with the horrible inner thigh cramp on the right side and the tops of both feet running up my shins also cramped.  I was in terrible pain for about ten minutes.  I hobbled to the kitchen to drink some quinine water and then settled into my living room chair, which usually helps me get the cramps out.  After about fifteen minutes, every muscle had settled down and I fell asleep in the chair until 6 a.m.  At that time I went back to bed to lay on my left side until I got up at 7:30.  My hip is still hurting this morning, but it feels far less painful than yesterday.  I hope I can get through the day and all the walking at Food and Wine!

Meanwhile, I am hosting the Monday morning Mah Jongg group at my house, so I need to close this blog, finish breakfast, and tidy up a bit before they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment