Saturday, October 24, 2009

Philosophy of Eating

My husband and I share many things, but one thing we do not share is our philosophy of eating. Anyone who knows my husband knows that he is a tall, slim, physically fit, diabetic who has trouble maintaining his weight. He loses weight fairly quickly. He is trying to avoid going on insulin after being a diabetic for over 30 years. At this point it is getting harder for him to eat enough calories to maintain his weight, yet not raise his sugar, and still take only oral meds for the diabetes. His philosophy of eating is to eat as little as possible and get the biggest amount of calories. If he can eat a small portion that is low in carbs and high in calories, he is a happy camper. If he wasn't almost completely a vegetarian at this point, he could just eat a pound of steak every night!
I am the complete opposite. I am like Hungry Girl. I have always wanted to eat as much food as possible. I'm virtually never finished eating. I have learned over the years that if I open a box (jar, bag, container, etc.) of anything, I'm going to finish it: pound bags of M&M's, 13-ounce bags of Doritos, family-size boxes of Cheez-Its or Raisin Bran, half-gallon cartons of ice cream. I've done all of that. At meals I will eat everything available, clean my plate, clean the kids' plates, pick at the left-overs cleaning up. I always want the largest quantity of food I can get. Sad, but true. And it's still true today. I don't know if I'll ever get past that.
It's taken me all this time to realize that I am not normal. People who can maintain a normal weight also maintain a normal relationship with food. I do not. I probably never will. What is happening this time is that I'm gaining a better perception of what is normal and how I can manage my abnormality.
Mark is helping by also recognizing my needs. So he cooks these great things from Hungry Girl for me because she's a believer in eating as much as possible with the lowest amount of calories. I supplement it with large quantities of salad and chewing gum to satisfy that chewing urge and to feel like I'm eating all the time. I probably can't "cure" this food addiction, but at this point managing it will be good enough for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment