Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Mother's Day and Kosher Crab Cakes

250.4 this morning, staying the same.

OK, enough about that.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day; I sure did.  Mark made me a great breakfast of low carb pancakes, veggie sausage links, and scrambled eggs.  We did some laundry, packing, and shopping to get ready for our trip to Vero Beach today.  Then we headed over to Epcot for our last trip to the Flower and Garden show.  I had the grilled tilapia from the vegetarian kiosk and a mushroom/cheese quesadilla at the Mexican kiosk for lunch. Mark and I split a kumquat pie from the Florida kiosk near Germany for dessert.  It was hot and humid yesterday, and we felt sweaty and exhausted after the lunch.  Once our friend Barbara texted me that Chubby Checker wasn't performing, we bailed on the park and went home.  For dinner Mark made me something I had not had in well over 10 years, kosher crab cakes.  Mmm...Mmm...GOOD!  We had them with corn on the cob and broccoli.  Spectacular dinner.

If you have never had kosher crab cakes, here's the trick.  Get a container of Old Bay Seasoning and be sure the crab cake recipe is still on it.  Some of the containers do NOT have it anymore, so check.  Then follow it with two exceptions.  First, substitute a pound of poached haddock for the pound of crab meat.  Poach the haddock the day before or the morning of and let it get good and cold.  Then just flake it up with your fingers.  Works perfectly!  Second, the new boxes contain the directions to broil the cakes.  What?  I guess it's healthier, but the old way was to fry them in oil in a pan.  We fried them last night, but maybe we'll try the broiling another day.  Spectacular!  Crab cakes are not really about the crabs.  They are about the frying and the Old Bay seasoning!  Trust me on this.  Another perk to this is that haddock is a LOT cheaper than crab meat!

Today we are going to Vero Beach for four nights in an Ocean View Deluxe Inn Room.  We are also starting our trip with a tour of Sebastian Inlet State Park and the McLarty Treasure Museum.  Mark found these looking up stuff to do in Vero Beach.  Many of the museums are closed on Mondays, but these are open.

We are checking in after 4 p.m. at the Disney's Vero Beach Resort with our DVC points.  The next three days will be spent at the resort and on the beach, I hope!  It's going to be plenty warm, but the afternoon thunderstorms are always a possibility on hot days.

The internet is not free there.  I KNOW!!  What's up with that?  It's like going on a cruise ship, so Mark is buying an internet package of a few minutes each day.  I don't plan to waste any of them with trip reports or blogs, so you might not see anything from me for a week.

Friday, Mark will be driving me straight from Vero Beach to the airport. I'm flying to Maryland and will be staying with friends Rudy and Georganne.  Saturday is Emily's wedding shower.  Then I fly back Sunday.  I'll probably write a HUGE blog next week!  I'll have so much to say and tons of pictures.  Watch out!

Here are a few pictures from Mother's Day.  I hope everyone out there had a lovely Mother's Day as well.

Mark making pancakes!

Ready to eat and enjoying my bouquet.

My favorite spot at the Flower and Garden Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment