Tuesday, May 6, 2014

NARFE convention

Today through Thursday is the Florida State NARFE convention.  Mark and I are both going to be very busy there, and we are staying in the convention hotel Wednesday and Thursday nights even though it's only about an hour away from here.  Last year we did not stay overnight at all at the convention, and we regretted that on the nights of the banquets.  I think it will be a lot easier to change into fancier clothes and stay out late if we only have to ride the elevator back up to the room!

Mark and I also volunteered to help out, so today we are the Greeters on the 2-5 p.m. shift.  I think we will just be directing people to registration or answering questions.  I have been asked to sing the "Star Spangled Banner" this evening at the opening ceremonies and sing "God Bless America" Thursday evening during the closing ceremonies.  I'm honored and excited about that.  On Wednesday afternoon, Mark is leading a workshop, and it will be great. 

I do not plan to write blogs Wednesday or Thursday, but I'll check in with everyone on Friday and let you know how it was.

Meanwhile we had a great Cinco de Maya yesterday.  We shared two delicious entrees at San Angel Inn and some tequila.  We rode the Three Caballeros ride in Mexico and used our Magic Bands and FP+ to book Maelstrom.  We realized we had not ridden Maelstrom in at least four or five months.  It was fun. 

Despite a lot of walking around at Epcot, I am still up one pound today to 251.  I'm hoping it's just sodium from the lunch out.  Today we are eating breakfast at home, packed lunches in the car as we drive up to the convention, and dinner at Denny's after the opening evening ceremonies.  I hope tomorrow I'm down at least one pound again.

As we headed out yesterday morning, we were treated to a family of Sandhill Cranes.  They mate for life and have one or two babies every spring.  This family group had two babies.  They were slowly crossing the street in front of us, so I couldn't resist taking some pictures on my cell phone.  I couldn't get a shot of them all together, but here the pictures I was able to take from the car window.  So cute.







No comments:

Post a Comment