Tuesday, August 28, 2018

FEDcon18 is a success.

Current NARFE President Thissen welcomes everyone to the conference.
It's Tuesday night, and I'm back in the room after the gala dinner and dancing.  We have had some wonderful speakers!  We have also enjoyed reconnecting with other NARFE members from around Florida and the whole country the we run into only at NARFE conventions every year.

Highlights of the speakers were Joe Theisman (former Redskins quarterback), Mike Massimino (former NASA astronaut and space walker at Hubble Telescope), and Henry Winkler (I'm sure you know who he is!).

I also spent a lot of spare time watching the dolphins in the river.  Today I saw a pod of three dolphins who were coming up higher than the one did on Sunday.  It is so much fun to watch. I also learned that the St. John's river, although flowing north, flows so slowly that when it gets up in to the Jacksonville area, it is affected by tides.  I noticed this because it was flowing right to left Sunday and Monday afternoons, but this morning I noticed it was flowing the opposite way, and later today it was back to the original direction. I googled it.  Yep, it changes direction.  That was very cool.

I will not write a blog tomorrow because we have to load the car with our stuff at 8:30 a.m.  The final session is 9 a.m. to noon, but check out is at 11 a.m.  Clearly, we have to have everything out before we go to our meeting.  I'll write again Thursday morning.


Yesterday we attended the session on Legislative Updates by Jessica Klement, an excellent employee and lobbyist for NARFE.






Mark took lots of notes during Jessica's session.



And he asked a question.



FABULOUS and inspiring speaker.


Dinner Monday night was bar food at the outside section of Morton's Steakhouse.  I ordered tuna tacos, but I didn't realize it was RAW tuna. Shockingly, I liked it.  It was the first time I ever ate raw tuna anything.



We mailed in our ballots last Monday from Amelia Island, but since today was the Primary Election date for Florida, Mark and I wore our "I Voted by Mail" stickers today.



Lunch today with Pat and Bill, although he kind of got cut out of the picture.



He was an awesome speaker.  So much fun!  Worth the registration fee alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment