Friday, April 15, 2011

Almost Didn't Make It

Yesterday I almost didn't make it to the radiation session. I left the house at 2:30 p.m. as usual. As soon as I got on the main road, I knew something was wrong. The traffic was just stalled. We inched a long for a bit, and then I noticed that I was inching up a car length at a time only because cars ahead of me were making unsafe u-turns on the grassy median. I called Mark on the cell phone because at this point I had been in the car about half an hour and had gone maybe 10 minutes worth. He found out that the road was closed completely about a mile and a half down with a three car fatal accident. There are no other roads to take from that point except to turn around and make a HUGE circle. Once I got to a crossroad where I could make a safe u-turn, I did it. I went in the opposite direction and should have made it there in an hour. At that point it would be 4:40 instead of 3:15, when my appointment was scheduled. I called the radiation center, and they were as nice as could be. They said no problem. So I took off to drive a huge circle that should take an hour. Well, it took longer than an hour because about half way there was another big accident. We just sat and inched along. Fortunately, the road was not completely closed down. I kept calling Mark and calling the cancer center. Thank God for cell phones and hands-free devices! I made it to the cancer center at 4:59!! Normally they close at 5, but they were just so very nice to me. They let me in, and we did my first boost. Of course, nothing went smoothly there either. They had trouble with their equipment, so instead of taking 15 minutes, it took 30. I left at 5:30. And those radiation therapists had another patient waiting who had also been caught in the huge back ups. Those guys are the BEST!!

At least I had a good morning yesterday. I went to my Solivita Cancer Support Group for the first time. They meet every Thursday morning at 10 a.m. 10 people were there, but I heard it ranges from 2 to 25. I was the only new one, so they saved me for last. I was impressed with the stories I heard from the other people. Everyone was supportive of each other and genuinely interested in their stories. Two other ladies were also under active treatment, like me, but the rest had conquered their cancers and were in remission. I will definitely go back next Thursday. I told them that I would be celebrating the end of my radiation treatment with them!

When I came back from the meeting, I told Mark that I wanted to take him out to lunch at the Upper Crust, our little local pizza place. On Thursdays they have broccoli cheese soup, so I had that in a bread bowl with a salad. The nice thing was that one of the men from the cancer group was in there ordering a salad, too. We invited him to sit with us at our table, and we had a lovely conversation with a new friend. It was just so great to know someone when we went into the restaurant this time. Mark is planning to go to the Diabetic Support Group soon. Hopefully, he'll make some new friends there, too.

Except for nearly missing radiation, yesterday was a great day!

Today Mark is having his second "store bought" haircut. After he did it on the cruise, he realized he liked the results, so he's trying a new salon in this area. I hope he likes it. I'm going with him to see how it goes!! I have made an appointment at the same salon for a pedicure and polish change on my nails for next Thursday afternoon, so I kind of want to see what this place looks like as well. It's a lot pricier than my old salon in Laurel, but half the price of the cruise ship!

We are going up to the Palms to exercise, then have a quick lunch out before the hair cut. After the salon, we'll head up to radiation. Then we are going to our synagogue near Disney World. Tonight because they are having a big dinner tonight. Their student rabbi is there for the weekend, so after the dinner he is leading services. I didn't expect Mark to want to go out for this because the meal features many forms of carbs and he never usually likes to go out on Friday nights. That he was interested in going was a pleasant surprise, so I'm excited to have dinner and socialize with the new shul folk and eat carbs! LOL

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you weren't involved in the accidents and that you still got your radiation in. I am so happy for you that you found a support group that you like. I hope that it will continue to be a positive thing for you. Have a good time at your dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete