Saturday, April 9, 2011

Disappointment

Our trip to the kosher "supermarket" was disappointing yesterday. I expected it to be small, but to have aisles, maybe carts, shelves, a cash register...NO. It had none of those things. It was a really small, one room affair without any of the above mentioned items. They had a few freezers, the kind you might put in your garage or basement in your home. One had some dairy items and one had frozen meat. They had one shelf of products. We were able to get the spaghetti sauce and salad dressing, so that was excellent. They did not have gravy or margarine. We ended up buying another jar of gefilte fish, some cakes and cookies, a tray of jell candies, a box of matzo ball soup mix, and two packs of muenster cheese. Then we drove back to the Publix that we had gone to on a previous day to get the turkey and some frozen TV dinners. It is clear now that in order to get everything we need for Passover next year, we will need to drive around to several stores. Each place that we visited (Whole Foods, Super Target, Kosher Kat's, and 3 different Publix) had something we wanted, but no single place had everything we wanted. We still expect to make a mail order tomorrow for margarine and gravy if we haven't waited too long to have it arrive in time. So this year was a learning experience for us. Another alternative for next year is to make a big trip to Miami and get everything. It's possible to drive down and back in the same day. If we took a few coolers to put the frozen and refrigerated items in, it might be worth it if all the shopping got done in one place on one day. Or we could go away for the whole week like last year! Another cruise, perhaps? A week at Rocky Gap? We'll see.

I was so tired yesterday after the morning drive up and back to Kosher Kat's followed immediately by driving up to radiation that I fell asleep as soon as I got home from the cancer center and slept THREE straight hours, from 4:15 to 7:15 p.m. Insane. I usually do not sleep that much during the day. It must be the radiation fatigue catching up to me. I also went to bed by 11 and slept very well right to 8 a.m. Amazing. I guess I needed the sleep.

Services were lovely at the synagogue this morning. They also announced that they have hired a rabbi, who will begin August 1. There had been four candidates, but we only saw one. The one we saw was the one they hired, so I guess we saw the best! Mark and I liked him a lot. He will graduate from the JTS in NY in May. His wife is pregnant with their second child, so she had not been able to come with him to FL when we saw him. I don't know when the baby is due, but I bet they will have a newborn when he starts in August. How nice for this little shul to have a young rabbi and his family start a career with them. We are looking forward to it.

We expect to go to the gym to do our weight routines today, and we plan to watch the Orioles play the Rangers this afternoon. Last night's game was rained out, so it's a double header today. It should be fun to watch. Hopefully, I won't sleep through it all!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you got your Passover shopping done. I am glad that you are getting sleep when you need it. You are counting down on the radiation. Before you know it you will be done and it will be time to celebrate what you have accomplished in getting through your cancer treatment. Keep taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to admit that I have been starting to think what an appropriate celebration will be after the last radiation treatment. I also have to get a nice thank you card for the techs. On my last day of chemo, I sent a nice Edible Fruit arrangement to the facility for everyone. I'm considering doing that again here. But that's all to thank them. What am I doing to "thank" myself? I also intend to start calling myself a survivor the very minute I walk out of the cancer center following the final treatment. After that, it's just playing the check-up game that everyone plays for the rest of her life!

    ReplyDelete