Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I'm officially a SURVIVOR!

Yes, today I completed the active phase of my BC treatment, which means I can really call myself a survivor now. I got a genuine, heartfelt hug from everyone at the radiology center along with an angel pin and a really great certificate. Here is the text of my certificate:
Certificate of Merit

Be it Declared to All Present That

Rebecca Silverstein

has completed the prescribed course of
Radiation therapy with a high order of
Proficiency in the science and art of being
Cheerful, Outstanding in High Courage, Tolerant
And Determined in all orders given.

By order of the diploma committee

The Radiation Therapy Staff
4/20/11

I thought that was really, really cute!

When I went out to the car, I sat and cried for a minute or two. It was sort of an overwhelming rush of emotion. Later I felt like it was the last day of school, a bitter sweet separation.

I will see the radiation oncologist in six weeks for my first follow up. Then every four months for two years then every six months for essentially the rest of my life. I will have mammograms on the affected breast every six months and on the unaffected breast annually like always. I will stay on the pills Arimidex for at least five years. I will also see the medical oncologist on about the same schedule, but they'll stagger the appointments. I guess I'll be going back to the cancer center about every two or three months forever! Oh, well...that's actually comforting to know that I'll get checked out frequently. Every BC woman fears a recurrence. I am no exception.

I also was fitted today for a compression sleeve. I need to wear it when I exercise and when I'm on an airplane. Since I'll be flying to Maryland on May 6, I figured I needed to get the order started. I didn't know about the exercise thing until a few days ago. The tech at the center today said I should wear the sleeve from morning to bedtime any day that I fly and an hour before and up to two hours after I do my weight lifting routine. UGH. Something to get used to, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so very happy for you. I am glad that they are keeping a close eye on you. When I finished my initial cancer chemotherapy in 2003 the follow-up appointments weren't that frequent. I think that it is good that you will have frequent ones though. Just a note about the compression sleeve: I actually was fitted for 3 of them between 2002 and 2004. It was the same occupational therapist that fitted me all three times. I didn't think that any of them were helpful or comfortable so I threw them all away eventually. I do exercise, but I have not flown in an airplane since I was diagnosed with BC in 2002. Sometimes I will get some swelling under my right arm and across my chest. I think that it is some degree of lymphedema. It's not highly noticeable, but it can be uncomfortable. I have found that walking 2-3 miles seems to help the discomfort of the swelling when I get it. I am religious about no one taking blood pressures or blood draws on the side that had the most lymph nodes taken out though. There have been multiple health care providers that have tried to convince me to let them draw blood from my right side (most lymph nodes out) since 2002. I stick with my wishes though and tell them left side only.
    I do remember that when I got the compression sleeves they were all several hundred dollars in cost and there was a specific way to wash them to protect them from damage. The ones I had weren't too hard to put on. They were kind of tight but there was something that they sold me to assist me in getting it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, Rhonda. I think my insurance is going to cover the cost of the sleeve. I had planned to buy a pretty one from the Lymphediva website, but then I heard I could get it paid by insurance if I went to a certain place. Also since they only last about six months and can cost over $100, I figured I would let the insurance pick up the cost. The therapist showed me one and said she'll teach me how to put it on and how to wash it next Wednesday when I go to pick it up. She said she has known people to get full blown lymphedema from flying without one because of the extreme changes of air pressure. I'm sure not going to take that risk. I don't have it now, and I'm doing all I can to avoid ever having it. I am also religious about being sure there are no BPs or sticks on the left side. I even have a medic alert bracelet that says that, but lately I have not been wearing it. I guess I should get it back out.
    I was stunned to see that they are splitting up our online support group into two separate groups, so you and I will be parting ways in that group. Thankfully we are already blog and email buddies, so I hope to keep hearing from you. Someday maybe I'll drive to Iowa and visit you! If you ever take a notion to visit Florida and Walt Disney World, come to my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also sad that they are splitting up our support group. I will definitely keep in touch with you and keep reading your blog. It is a part of my day now. I would love to come to Florida sometime. You are welcome to visit us in Iowa anytime.

    ReplyDelete