Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Go O's!


The Orioles beat the Tigers yesterday, so they are now 4 wins, 0 losses. That is amazing. For the past few seasons they hardly ever won four games in a row, let alone at the start of the season. Lowell and Emily went to the game yesterday in Camden Yards with their friends Mason and Allison. I'm so glad they had great weather and a win. Go O's!!

Yesterday I said we would not drive around anymore looking for Passover food, but I guess I lied. After a long drive up to Altamone Springs, about an hour and 20 minutes, we found the Publix that was recommended to us. Yes, they had a pretty good Passover section. We found diet Coke! We also found diet Dr. Brown cream soda! Yay!! They had marshmallows, candy, and potato chips, too, but I did NOT get them! I did give in to two treats, two cans of macaroons and a box of chocolate covered matzo, for a little something sweet after the seder meals. Unbeknownst to me, Mark had already gotten artificial sweetener, and we learned that ground pepper does not need a special Passover marking as long as we buy it before Passover and open it during Passover for the first time.

Still, we needed margarine and spaghetti sauce, and then Mark remembered that he wanted salad dressing. Also he would be happy if he could find some sugar-free jelly or jam. We bought some apricot preserves, but they are not sugar free.

When we left, we thought we were going to order these things online, but I had an idea while we were driving home. We still had not driven to Kosher Kat's, the only kosher supermarket in this central Florida area. I called them on the phone. The man who answered was very pleasant. In fact, he is a friend of our friend who is coming down here for Passover, Frank. Frank had asked us several times to go there, but it's so far away we were trying to stay closer in. Now we are going there on Friday. I learned on the phone that he will have everything we want coming in a shipment on Thursday. How exciting! So Friday morning we will drive about an hour and a half to head just a little farther north than yesterday to Kosher Kat's. Hopefully we will be heading home that day with everything we need to finish our special Passover shopping.

I had radiation #21 yesterday. I'm noticing over two dozen little red dots on my skin, possibly small blisters. My skin is getting quite dark all over the left breast and up to my neck, actually. These dots just broke out yesterday morning. I'm also noticing more and more stiffness. In the morning when I get up, it is really hard to raise my arm up over my head. I do stretches on the wall now like I did after surgery. This is painful but necessary. Throughout the day I keep trying to stretch that arm. The somewhat painful feeling in my breast, especially along the left side under my arm, is there almost all the time now whether I move or not. It tends to improve as the day goes on, being the worst first thing out of bed in the morning, but it is annoying. I am not so uncomfortable that I am taking any Advil during the day for it. I did break down last night, though, and take oxycodone at bedtime. I slept well with that, but it still hurt when I got up this morning. There are only 7 more treatments to the whole area before moving on to the 5 boosts directly to the tumor site, so I just need to hang on for a little longer. Tuesday is my day with the doctor, so I'm curious to see what he will say about the red dots and the pain. He'll probably say stretch more and take Advil for the pain! Seriously, what else can he say? As for the blistery dots, he'll probably just say keep using the cream. So, I'll let you know tomorrow if my predictions are correct.

As for the Tuesday weigh-in, I was 249 this morning. That's down about a pound and a half from last Tuesday. I'm not excited because last Tuesday I was up, so I'm just see-sawing and basically staying the same. I had good days and bad days this week. Yesterday was a BAD day, so I'm surprised I wasn't up a lot more. My willpower is weak these days. All I can say is that today starts a new week, so I'll jump back on the wagon. I had four veggie sausage links (160 calories) and a low-fat, sugar-free yogurt (80 calories) for breakfast, along with three cups of black coffee. I plan to take a walk today because I have been neglecting that. So far, it's dark and stormy out, but it's supposed to be short-lived. I think I'll be able to walk outside later on, or I can go to the indoor track.

1 comment:

  1. Once you can swim again that will probably help the stiffness in your arm. At least that was and is helpful when I have stiffness in my arm that was radiated. I am glad that you are doing wall stretches and are not afraid to take the oxycodone at night for the discomfort. I am glad that you guys are getting ready for a great Passover celebration. I hope that you have a good night tonight.

    ReplyDelete