Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Lost, Found, Stayed the Same?

Well, it's Weigh-in Wednesday.   First, I jumped on at 5:30 in the morning and it showed I was up FOUR pounds.  Then I got on at 7:15 a.m., and it showed I was only up TWO.  Then, I got on again at 8:00, and it showed I was only up two-tenths.  In no case, did it show I lost anything.  Sigh.

OK, I am reporting my weight as 239.9, a gain of two-tenths.

Now begins the process of trying to figure out why.  Two weeks ago when I had stayed the same, I talked about being on a plateau.  Then the next week I dropped four.  It's entirely possible that the same thing is happening this week.  Plateau one week, big drop the next week.  It could happen.

BUT...on Monday we are boarding a cruise ship!  Oh, yeah!  THAT'S an easy place to lose weight.

NOT.

Mark and I are convincing ourselves that we can behave on the ship.  We don't want to spend much money on this particular cruise, so we will cut out most drinking. I won't say ALL drinking because Mark will still have a shot of whiskey on most days.  It's medicinal!  It helps to keep his blood sugars down when he has too many carbs.  It's true, but I won't talk details on that now because that's another whole issue. 

My goal is to stay the same.  If I can go on a four night cruise, Monday through Friday, and not gain any weight, that would be a HUGE accomplishment.  Of course, that's a huge challenge.  Cruise ships are loaded with FREE food, unlimited BUFFETS, unlimited ICE CREAM.  It's just a mine field full of opportunities to overeat.

SO....here's my plan.  NO SECONDS at the buffets.  NEVER go back!  Sounds easy, right?  Also go to the GYM at least twice.  Monday and Wednesday are usually our gym days, so there's no real reason why we can't do our weights on those days on the ship.  WALK!!  Every ship has a jogging track and/or a promenade deck.  There's usually plenty of opportunity to walk around a half hour or more every day. 

I think if I do those three simple things (one trip through the buffet, weights, and walking), I can stay the same.  I won't say lose because the food on the buffet and in the main dining room at night is full of sodium and fat that you often cannot see.  Even if you take the fish, it probably has oils and sodium on it that make it delicious and are mostly undetectable.  So, I hope to stay the same.  That's the bottom line.

Meanwhile, between now and Sunday afternoon when we drive to Miami, there will be no meals in restaurants.  I need to eat only dinner out Sunday night in Miami.  There's a Denny's next to the hotel, so I will get my usual senior tilapia dinner with salad and broccoli.  That's my standard dinner at Denny's, and we have done exactly that for two other cruises out of Miami.  Then we will have a breakfast in the hotel Monday morning before boarding the ship. 

I guess if I could weigh myself on the ship, maybe I'd show a loss next Wednesday.  All ships have scales in the gyms, but unless the ship is in port, they are impossible to use.  A scale cannot find your weight if the ship is moving!  Trust me on that. I have tried.  LOL!  Ha!  I just checked the calendar and learned that we are docked in Cozumel on Wednesday.  OKAY!  I will weigh in on the ship Wednesday morning and report from Mexico.  Cool!

Meanwhile, even though this blog is big, I just want to say one more thing.  I did see the dermatologist Monday, and he removed the suspicious thing on my back. It's healing up nicely, although it is preventing me from swimming for a view days.  I can call his office on Friday at the earliest to get the pathology report.  I hope I'm not kidding myself, but I have a good feeling that it's going to be nothing.  Keep your fingers crossed and say a few prayers that I'm right.

Oh....one other thing!  I got a little solo in the Guys and Dolls concert.  I'll be singing the opening four bars (yeah, I said LITTLE) of "Satin Doll" in a Johnny Mercer medley.  I'll be singing it on Sunday night.  Two other ladies sing it the other two nights. 

Time to RUN.  I have to eat breakfast and get up to the Scrooge rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment