Thursday, October 10, 2013

Mesothelioma

A few days ago, I had a comment on my blog.  That is SO RARE that it really caught my eye!  Any of you readers who notice such things may have seen that comment.  She asked me to email her privately because she had a question, so I did.

She is the Community Outreach Director for the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance. 

She wrote,  "Mesothelioma Awareness Day just passed and our campaign was a huge success! I am contacting bloggers like you in the cancer community to ask for help in continuing to spread awareness. Fortunately, because mesothelioma is a completely preventable cancer (caused only by asbestos exposure), knowing more about the disease and it's risk factors truly does make a difference.

I've attached the mesothelioma facts sheet that I used for the campaign this year. I would love it if you'd be willing to share it on your blog for your community. With your support in raising more awareness, hopefully one day we can get asbestos banned once and for all."


Unfortunately, my computer skills are sort of poor.  LOL!  I could not figure out how to bring her fact sheet to my blog.  I did read it myself.  Here are some of the facts:


Asbestos is still not banned and its fibers are invisible to the naked eye.
It is still the number one form of occupational cancer.
Navy vets are at high risk because there was a lot of asbestos used on ships.

If you want to know more, just google mesothelioma.  There are many great websites that pop up.

As a cancer survivor and former teacher, I am more than happy to educate people on this form of cancer.  If writing my blog today about this particular form of cancer helps even one person learn something new or make a decision to support the cause or change a lifestyle, then I will have done a mitzvah today.



No comments:

Post a Comment