Saturday, November 6, 2010

Anniversaries Unacknowledged

This morning I had the thought that two anniversaries of this blog sort of came and went without any comments. The first was its beginning. I started it on October 14, 2009 as a way of keeping the weight loss motivation going. The second was the anniversary of the original ventral/umbilical surgery on November 2, 2009. I missed thinking about either one of them this year. When that happened, I never would have guessed that in less than one year, I would have had four surgeries by Dr. Falcao! Unimaginable at the time.

So this morning I looked back at the old blogs and my calendar to see what I was doing then and now. This year on October 14 I had already started chemotherapy. My friend Saul stopped by on his way back from Philadelphia, and we went to lunch at the kosher Subway in Pikesville. It was a good day. The second was election day. I started out in the hospital and was released that afternoon. I guess that's why I wasn't thinking about anything else! Still, I found it amusing this morning to reflect on these two anniversaries.

Yesterday was a strange day. I was asleep more than I was awake. Except for brief times awake for meals, some TV, and some reading, all I did was sleep. I was also freezing all day long, so I was bundled up in multiple layers of jackets and hats all day long. I'm not sure why that was. I didn't think I'd be able to go to bed last night, but I had no trouble at all! I slept well and didn't get up until 9 a.m. Amazing! I'm hoping that I am back to my old self today with at least a little more energy.

This afternoon I have two good friends, Cathy and Ed, driving up from Virginia to visit us for a few hours. Cathy is a breast cancer survivor herself, and I'm looking forward to hearing more details of her story.

4 comments:

  1. Becky...My mom hated being stuck in the house after her chemo. So what we did was bought a box of rubber gloves and some masks. ANd ever time she went out she would wear it. They might be a little pain in the butt butt, it will definitely help cut down on the infections. By the end of her treatments she new to pretty much stat away from grocery stores. I will you well Becky and continue to pray my rosary for you every night,, I love you bunches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carman! Love you bunches, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky-- Wow, sounds like you have been working a full time job in this battle-- so much for retirement! But you are doing a great job-- and sleeping late is always great fun. Seriously my thoughts are with you...

    We were setting up the rummage sale tonight and checking out the hats. But I think the one I gave you was still the best! Hope you enjoy wearing in and feel better soon!

    Hugs.... Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky,
    I am so glad that you are still resting since you need it for now. You are still in my prayers. I hope that yesterday evening brought a little more energy for you. I hope that you had a good time with your friends last night.

    On a more serious note, is your temperature going up when you get cold? Sometimes when I was working I would have patients do that to me. Take good care of yourself. I will be thinking of you today.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete