Friday, November 26, 2010

MADE IT!!






Thanksgiving Day was all I had hoped it would be. First and foremost I stayed healthy and out of the hospital. I'm writing this blog the day after, so everything worked out well. The first picture is my step-mother Jackie and my brother-in-law Jim enjoying some of the great lunch food that Cindy has prepared. The next picture is Cindy (in red) and Flyn (in white), my two sisters, working on preparing the dinner. I put a bunch of things in the oven to re-heat and then promptly took a nap through most of the rest of the preparation time! I did wake up to eat, trust me.

Flyn was amused after dinner when she found the three cousins, Katie, Evey, and Lowell, and me in the living room all independently playing on our phones. These phones are very addictive! Katie and Evey look cute standing together. Katie is going to be one of Evey's bridesmaids, along with her other cousin Emily and her friend Dana, who will be Maid-of-Honor. The last picture is the four of us together. It could be a very long time before I have both of my kids together again, maybe even not until Evey's wedding next September. I was really enjoying having the two of them together with me and Mark yesterday.

Today I am making "carcass soup." I really enjoy making soup out of the turkey frame, boiling off all the good meat, cutting up vegetables, turning it into tomorrow's dinner. The house smells so good while it's simmering. It's an all-day job, but it's one I look forward to on the years when the turkey was leftover in "my" house. Officially this isn't my house, but the turkey and I are both here, so he's in the pot now!

Later today we have the sad chore of driving Evey to the airport and seeing that she heads back to California. It's been a brief but wonderful visit. The next time we see her will be in the spring when she is planning a trip to Florida to see our new house. There will also be wedding showers here on the east coast in the summer, and we have planned a trip in August back out to California. Then the wedding will be in September. The future is looking bright for all of us. Once I get my cancer treatments behind me, which should be by early May, I can look forward to many years of family get-togethers like this one.

I hope everyone else had a great day as well with family and friends and love. Maybe I'll hear some of your stories about your day, too.

4 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled for you. You stayed healthy! You have some beautiful pictures posted. It sounds like you had a wonderful day and most importantly it was out of the hospital. We had a fun Thanksgiving at our home too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo. One more reason to be grateful. Loved the pix. Did you take them with your marvelous new iPhone? I heard the clarity is even better than my "outdated" iPhone 3G. Loved the pic of all of you playing with your phones. Yes, they are addictive but this addiction isn't so bad. Had a terrific Thanksgiving with Bob's family--so I'm making my turkey today. Only problem with going out for Thanksgiving is no leftovers! Ate way too much last night so I ran this morning. Moved slowly but steadily (easily). Incorporated your strategy and think it works. Stay healthy. No more unscheduled hospital visits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippeeeeee! So glad you had the Thanksgiving Day you wanted. Katie looks so grown up - it's been a while since I've seen her - still so pretty and graceful. Dick is the soup maker in our house - he lets me help cut up the veggies sometimes. I love the smell of soup as it simmers - you can almost taste it before you even get to eat it. Take care and I will see you soon.

    Lots of love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love carcass soup - made some myself! ;-)

    ReplyDelete