Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My 30 Facts

Later today I'll be heading into the hospital to have lab work done and see the oncologist. I'll be sure to tell her I think the C Diff has returned. I might post later tonight how that went.

Meanwhile, yesterday I wrote my thirty facts about myself. Later I'll get Mark to post them on Facebook because I have no idea how to do that. It's easy to post them here.

When I was writing them, I started off well, but then I felt that it would be very hard to get to 30. When I hit 18, I got happy thinking I only needed 2 more. Oops. Then I remembered I needed 30 not 20!! Finally when I got finished, I realized I could have thought of more than 30, but then it would just get too boring. So 30 seemed right. Several of you have said that you were challenged to write your own lists. My sister Cindy did one yesterday, and Kip has also posted his on Facebook. If anyone else writes a list of 30 facts, please send me a copy by email or any other way you can think of. I'd love to read them.

Thirty Facts About Becky Silverstein

1. I married Mark Silverstein, my b’shert, my best friend, my lover, and my helper. This was the best decision I ever made in my life.

2. I converted to Judaism the week before my wedding. I have never regretted that for a minute. It has defined who I am and what I do ever since.

3. My children fulfill me in ways that are difficult to explain. I love them so much it hurts, and I am proud of them every day.

4. If I had my dream world, I would live in a beautiful house with Evey and her family in the house next door on one side and Lowell and his family on the other side. I’m pretty sure this would NOT be their dream world.

5. I like orange and peach colors and flavors.

6. I don’t like mint flavor in my coffee or my ice cream.

7. I have eaten a half gallon of ice cream out of a carton all at once more than once. Sad, but true.

8. Avocados, olives, ketchup, mustard, vinegar and all salad dressings have no reason to exist.

9. When Mark and I first met, we had the same car, Dodge Dart. Mine was orange and his was purple (his favorite color). We have often bought the same car again, including right now.

10. I hate cancer, especially MINE!

11. I have struggled with my weight from my earliest memories. I’m disappointed that cancer has sidetracked what I thought was my final time to deal with it. I really thought I had learned what to do and how to behave. When my treatment is finished, I will have to start over again.

12. I love dogs and cats, especially when I have had both at the same time.

13. I still think about my Siamese cat Sirikit. She was a very special pet that I got when I was 12 and had for 18 years.

14. I wish I had appreciated our dog Ace more when I had him. He was such a great dog, and I don’t think we gave him the love and attention he deserved.

15. There were years when I hated being a music teacher in the public schools and wanted to quit and go into another line of work.

16. I’m glad I never quit my music teacher job because there were years that I loved it and did great work, especially the last 10 years. It also has allowed me to have a good retirement pension.

17. I loved directing the Mishkan Torah choir. It allowed me to grow as a conductor and deepen my friendships with the people in the choir. I get extremely nervous when I have to sing solo, but I never, EVER get nervous before or during a choir concert. There is something completely magical about standing in front of a group of singers, no matter what their ages, that just makes me very happy. I always enjoy conducting concerts!

18. I didn’t realize how much I missed singing until I joined the Central Maryland Chorale and Goddard’s MAD productions. I’m grateful to have had a few years to work with those talented people.

19. I have never really gotten over the death of my parents. I think of them every day and wish that they could have seen Lowell and Evey grow up.

20. I love cruising. I have gone to Alaska twice, across the Pacific Ocean to and around Hawaii, through the Panama Canal, and many Caribbean trips. I hope to do many more. If I had all the money in the world, I would take a round-the-world cruise lasting four months and visit so many beautiful exotic places. Unfortunately Mark only likes being on a ship for about 3 weeks and I DON’T have all the money in the world, so I’m pretty sure I will not ever do this.

21. I have a dream of flying around the world, visiting all the Disney parks. I might be able to talk Mark into this one!
22. I loved my trip to Israel, but I want to go back and see so much that we didn’t have time to do.

23. I love my extended family. As Katie said, they are ABAZING. (You had to be there for that one.)

24. I like to flip the channels on the TV. This drives Mark crazy. Sorry.

25. I like all kinds of music and listen to many different styles. Some favorites are country, sixties and seventies classic rock, classical, and Broadway.

26. I really, really LOVE going to live theater, especially musicals. I hope there are some good opportunities for this in the Orlando area.

27. I play guitar left handed not just because I AM left handed but because I wanted to be like Paul McCartney!

28. I love voting and have never missed an election. Even this year Mark and I were able to vote by mail in the local Florida elections.

29. I love to drive and hope to take many more driving vacations with Mark. He is great at entertaining me while I drive.

30. I love traveling by train. I’m glad Mark and I have been able to go across country twice by train.

3 comments:

  1. I hope that you are feeling better today and that the oncologist appointment goes good for you. I think that your 30 facts are very fascinating. I am going to try and write them for myself. Thanks for a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading yours and Mark's 30 facts! They were so you!!! Some I knew, some I didn't, and I am now inspired to write my own. I will let you know when. I hope you had a good visit with your oncologist today and that you have a wonderful first night of Chanukah. Talk with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all went well with the oncologist appointment. I am also inspired to write my 30 facts - after my performance with my students on Saturday. I liked reading yours and Mark's. I agree with both of you about hating cancer. I agree with your love of cats and dogs. However, I cannot agree about salad dressing and olives. I have eaten a whole can of black olives (without dressing) in one sitting, and I love salad with dressing on it (though I have learned to cut back on the amount). I wish you and your family a Happy Chanukah.

    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete