Monday, November 22, 2010

Shopping in the real world.

The refrigerator clean-out project went well yesterday. It took 45 minutes and totally did me in for the rest of the day. Even though I sat on a chair in front of the fridge while I sorted, threw out, re-shelved, and cleaned, when it was over, I felt queasy, exhausted, and basically wasted for the rest of the day. There were only two things I did the rest of the day: read and shop online. Oh, boy, did I shop online! I bought Hanukkah and Christmas presents for lots of folks, but my timing on Hanukkah is poor. Most of those things are going to arrive after Hanukkah. Sorry about that.

Today is starting out well. I have some queasiness still, but it's early in the morning and I still have energy. I have a grandiose plan for going to the mall today. Don't panic! I'll try to be careful. I have gloves I can wear if I have to push a cart or pick things up. There are only two reasons I'm going out to a real mall today. First, there were a few gift cards I wanted to buy that I discovered cannot be bought online. HUH? How annoying. So if I want a gift card to that store, I have to GO to that store. Wake up people! Put them online next year like everyone else. I cannot mention the store right now because it might give away a gift that I plan to buy for someone.

The other thing is a new phone. Mark and I are going to buy each other a new iPhone4 as Hanukkah presents to each other. I want to get mine today at the ATT store in the mall so that Evey can show me how to use the phone tomorrow when she's here for the holiday. I am pretty sure that learning to use it will be next to impossible for me without a personal tutor like Evey! She and Eric have been using their iPhone4s for a few months already, and they like them very much. I'm pretty excited about upgrading from just being able to text and phone!

Tomorrow will be so exciting. We have to leave here about 8 a.m. or so to go to the airport to pick up Evey. It will be a wonderful day. Sadly, it's also weigh-in day and I haven't done that for a few weeks. I got on the scale this morning, and I about fell down in shock. I will NOT report the number today, but if I stick to my guns about being honest about what's going on, I guess I'll have to report it tomorrow morning. It's BAD!! That's all I have to say. I was warned that people gain weight on chemotherapy for several reasons. One is that there are steroids in the IV bags. Steroids are notorious for making people hungry and for retaining fluid. Second is that I have had no energy, so I sat still A LOT, or I laid in a hospital bed A LOT. I keep eating the same amount or more, but I do nothing, so why should I be surprised that I'm putting on A LOT of weight. Even though everyone keeps saying that nutrition is important and not worrying about the weight is important (and I'm sure both are true), it was really depressing this morning to see that number. I guess I'll share that number tomorrow, but it will be very sad.

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy that your guests will start coming tomorrow. Your new phone sounds like a wonderful present. I hope you have a good and safe trip to pick the phone up today. If I got one I would need help from my kids to use it too. Just don't forget that you can get some more hard work done on weight loss when you feel better and try not to get too discouraged on any weight you have gained.(Easier said than done I know) Maybe (hopefully) you are done with feeling bad for the most part by now. I will pray that that is true and that the Taxol is relatively easy for you compared to what the Adriamycin/Cytoxan have been. If so once you get your energy up a little you would be maybe able to start some exercise soon. When you are ready look up Leslie Sansone's web site (in case you don't know about it already) With that web site which is $10 a year to belong, you could exercise in front of your computer when you are ready and cut down on your chance of picking up germs from others by not leaving your house.

    Have a wonderful time starting to visit your daughter tomorrow. Take care of yourself.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,
    I have not heard of the exercise website, but it sounds like something worth looking into. Do you use it? I am afraid of the Taxol because of how long and arduous it sounds to have it administered, five hours! Yet, I have heard that the side effects might be easier, less nausea and more energy. That would be nice. I guess I'll just have to do it the first time and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used the exercise site and I like it. Right now I am working on motivating myself to use it more frequently. I don't remember alot of specific info about how I felt after Taxotere(in the same family as Taxol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weight is not a problem . It will go eventually. Building strength and not having infections is the immediate goal. Everything else will wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Robin. Stick to your goal--A HEALTHY Thanksgiving with family. Much more important than weight at this point in time. It would be easy to make excuses so don't even go there. Say the number and move on. Love my iPhone3. It took me months to figure out some of the basics, but that was my fault--I didn't read the tutorial that came with it--duh! Now I use it for everything--and end up charging it every night! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete