Thursday, November 11, 2010

Yet another guest blog

Hi, this is Mark, again. Becky's temperature went up early this morning to the point where the doctors want to be notified. We saddled up and rode down to the Cancer Center. They ran a bunch of tests and gave her fluids while we waited a couple of hours while her temperature rose above 102. She was not a happy camper. Watching her suffer, but knowing the doctors believed it was unwise to offer a fever reducer until they knew what we were dealing with did not sit well with me.

While we waited for the results of the tests, they gave her a new antibiotic thinking she may have an infection called clostridium difficile, which they thought could have been brought on by the antibiotics they gave her for her last infection. The idea is that if good, needed bacteria were killed by the original antibiotic, C Diff, as it is called, can cause intestinal problems, which, indeed, Becky had been having. The new antibiotic made her feel a bit better, and the fever for whatever reason dropped a wee bit.

After the first set of tests finally arrived, they gave her a tylenol, which took the fever down to about 100.6 which made her feel pretty good. Unfortunately that set of tests showed she had a very low neutrofil level, which I believe means her white blood cell count was low. They decided to admit her to the hospital as soon as they could find a room. After we had been there for over 4 hours, the final tests showed she indeed had clostridium difficile.

The low neutrofil level and the high fever led to a diagnosis of neutropenic fever. The infectious disease doctor and the nurses all assured us that although both C Diff and Neutropenic fever are serious conditions that are not to be fooled around with, they are also conditions that they deal with routinely. They recommended that Becky stay with them for a couple of days so that they can keep her fluids up while the new antibiotic deals with the C Diff, and so they can raise her neutrofil level to get rid of the neutropenic fever.

When I left the hospital she was feeling pretty well, and I have spoken to her by phone, twice, since. I'll never figure out how she manages to still look cute while lying in a hospital gown in a sick bed, but I digress. I know she loves all of your comments, so if you have any, send them to the blog and I will be sure to read them to her.

9 comments:

  1. Left a message earlier on Becky's cell phone. Was hoping she was enjoying dinner with Lowell. Give her my best and let her know she is never far from my thoughts. I have something for her that I know she will like. Next time someone is in Greenbelt, let me know. Tell her to rest and do what she has to do. There is no other choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You love her, Mark. So happy she has you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO!!! Man - you mean I have to navigate that damn parking lot again!!?!? Kip and I have decided to come visit with you guys Friday evening if that will work. I'm not sure how you are feeling but we can bring a puzzle, games, dice (if you want a different game I'll understand!), food - whatever you need! We are crazy thinking about you and praying that this all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky,
    I am so sorry that this had to happen to you. I am glad you are where you need to be for now. They will get this taken care of for you so that you can get back to planning for the cruise and the wedding. If you want me to I will update the cancer care girls that you are back in the hospital. I had to cheat yesterday and write to them about the cherpumple because I thought that it was so fascinating. I gave you credit for the fact that I learned about it on your blog. Well you will be in my prayers and try and keep your spirits up if you can. Hopefully this will all be a distant memory before long.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, Becky! I had CDIF Colitis in 1999, and I know what you're going through---it's no picnic!!! I was on clindomycin ( a broad spectrum antibiotic) for 4 1/2 weeks, and it turned my intestines into a disaster zone. The only good thing to come of it was that I lost 18 pounds in two weeks. But of course, as soon as I was well again, they came right back. I can tell you this for sure...you will get better. You will have to be in the hospital a few days (I was there for 8.), and then you'll be home again to rest and recuperate. You really have had a time of it. My heart breaks for you!! Thank goodness for Mark!!!!! I'll call you, when you're feeling better. Many hugs from Jan Bloom

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope the hospital stay is not too terrible. good rest good recovery hope you can listen to some inspiring tunes
    we love you
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky,

    I know you love hospitals, and I'm sure the food's great, but you don't want to make a habit of this, do you?! Wouldn't take out Chinese and a night at the Sheraton do?
    Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about the new infection and hope the antibiotics kick in soon. Will be in MD, briefly, for the holidays. Maybe we can get together for a meal. NOT in a hospital. xo Denise J.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky and Mark,
    I am going to make my best educated guess and go ahead and tell the cancer care girls that you are back in the hospital so that they can be writing you some notes too. If I made the wrong decision by doing this before I heard back from you please forgive me and I will never do it again. I hope that things are a little better this am. I am still praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becky. Sorry to hear that you are back in the hospital.I hope that you are feeling better today and that the antibiotics are kicking that CDiff right out of you. I'm a little nervous about Eric's trip on Tues. but am so glad that Evey will be with you the following week. I hope to read that you are doing better soon.

    ReplyDelete