Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday Fun

I actually woke up at 6 a.m. and stayed up this morning. It was unusual, but somehow it seemed like the right thing to do this morning. Today is going to be a very nice day, I hope, doing a little shopping, watching a little TV, updating my medical log book (filing paper work, writing up about the hospital visit, logging in the meds, etc.), finishing my book. I might even try taking a neighborhood walk again. It's been a really long time since I did that.

I had no trouble with getting my shot yesterday, and so far there have been no side effects. That's a good thing! When I was there for my shot, I had a brief but nice conversation with another woman there. She had had a bi-lateral mastectomy and reconstruction, and now she is following the same course of chemo as I am. She is already on her Taxol. She said it's going well for her, and we held hands and wished each other a safe passage through this journey and strength to get through it. We also wished each other blessings for the future. She thanked me for stopping to talk with her for awhile. It was lovely. She actually initiated the conversation as I was getting up from my chair and walking past hers to leave. She complimented my new boots (thank you again Denise!) and that started our talk. It was lovely.

I very much enjoyed my dinner and TV time with Lowell again. It's one of the best perks of being here this long for treatment. Thanks, Lowell, for giving me your Thursdays!

3 comments:

  1. Well, here's an update on my day. I finished the book Eat, Pray, Love mostly because I have had diarrhea so I spent a lot of time in the bathroom. I didn't walk or shop because I've been slammed with fatigue. Every movement is an effort. I slept after breakfast, when I wasn' in the bathroom. Then I realized it was nearly noon and I had not gone upstairs to shower or dress. With great effort, I got that accomplished. I ate lunch and fell asleep until 2:30. Mark finally went to do the shopping without me because he could see I had no energy today. I slept some more. I have no temperature, so that' good. The cysts finally feel almost gone. Thank you Keflex! My BP is 95/54, a little on the low side, but about what it was running every day in the hospital. So that's my day so far. Not exactly what I had hoped for this morning, but what I needed apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed that book, we'll have to talk about it, and I wanted to see the movie, even though I heard it was not great, compared with the book--maybe we can go together. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time again with Lowell and it's terrific how open perfect strangers can be when they share something like cancer--in my mind it seems to make the world a smaller area. I guess flexibility is key in dealing with chemotherapy. It kind of reminds me of that movie, "Forrest Gump"--each day is like a different kind of chocolate. You may expect it to go one way, but "you never know what you're going to get." Hmmm....chocolate, wasn't thinking about that until now! Hope tomorrow gives you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to write you a note last night but my computer wasn't cooperating with me for some reason. I am glad that you took the time to rest yesterday and got to catch up on your reading. I hope that you rest today if you are still feeling fatigued.

    I am glad that you had a good conversation with another lady in your chemo room. I enjoy so much talking to other people going through a chemo. Even though they might not have the same chemo as me it still is good to talk to them, but it would be even better to find someone with your same chemo protocol like you did. I hope that you run into her again.

    I finally got my first nursing job application done on-line yesterday. I had a few nursing tests to take to qualify too. They were pretty easy. Now all that I need to do is wait for them to call my references and call me in to talk to them. Hopefully I can start a little work soon.

    Well have a good day today. If my computer stays working (I hope) I will check with you later. Don't forget to get plenty of rest today if you still need it.

    ReplyDelete