Friday, November 19, 2010

No News is Good News

I hope no one panicked yesterday because there was no blog. My track record might make people think I had some complication or went into the hospital. Thankfully that is not the case. Yesterday, I thought I would wait until later in the day to write a blog entry, but by then our internet connection was out and remained out until after we went to bed at 11 p.m. It's back this morning, so I'm jumping right in to write something early. It's only 6:45 a.m. and the internet is still working!

Yesterday was the day after the fourth chemo infusion. I felt quite good all day. Because they only gave me a 75% dose, I think my nausea and fatigue levels were lower than in the past. I'm not complaining about that! My taste buds seem to be doing better, also, because coffee is starting to taste a little better. I had enough energy to clean up my side of the bedroom and reorganize a lot of stuff that had been accumulating. The only complaint I had all day was more indigestion than usual, but a few Tums throughout the day helped.

In the afternoon I went to the hospital for my neulasta shot. That shot is saving women a lot of infections and blood transfusions. Even though my cell counts plummeted enough to give me neutropenic fever (also called febrile neutropenia), the neulasta drastically brought it back up. Without that shot I would have needed a blood transfusion.

I also got some Explanation of Benefits forms from our insurance company yesterday. I learned that the neulasta shot is a shockingly high price, $4,134.15! The insurance company reduces charges, often by large amounts, but in this case the price was reduced a paltry $82.68, so the insurance company paid $4,051.47, which is 100%, leaving nothing for me. WOW! I had NO idea this shot cost so much. The chemo infusion itself costs far less at $1,792.42, reduced by $35.84, so the insurance paid all of the remaining $1756.58. I had been warned that chemotherapy could cost as much as $40,000, and I knew my insurance in Florida would only cover 75% out of area, leaving me a whopping 25% out of pocket. Now that I'm seeing these numbers, it would seem that the total bill could run as high as $46,464.40, leaving me out of pocket expenses of $11,616.10. And that's only for the chemotherapy. I have not seen hospital bills yet for the two inpatient stays, plus the radiation therapy in the spring is also expected to run in the neighborhood of $40k. I am SO glad I'm doing this up here now when I can get 100% coverage of these things.

Last night Lowell joined us for dinner and more episodes of our show, How I Met Your Mother. I had missed that last week. We watched six full episode of season 3. We also ate a very, very special dinner. We had what Mark and I refer to as our Honeymoon Sandwich. For our honeymoon back in 1975, we spent 10 days in Miami Beach. The weather was FREEZING down there that winter, so we did not have any pool or beach time, but we had plenty of time for other sight-seeing and restaurant opportunities. One afternoon we went to a kosher deli for lunch and ordered a specialty, three-decker sandwich on Jewish rye bread and baked in the oven until hot. It has four meats: corned beef, pastrami, salami, and chopped liver, weighing a half pound! Whoee! It's good. Mark and I used to make it now and then for dinner in the "old days." Those would be the days before we were concerned with cholesterol. In fact, we had never made it for Lowell, so that was what we did. It did not disappoint.

Today I am up and feeling good. I hope that continues! For the first two days post-chemo, I have a specific anti-nausea regiment of two drugs to follow. I take three pills at a specified time, once during the day. After the first few chemos, I needed additional pills from my arsenal, but not yesterday. I am hoping today goes like yesterday. I don't plan to go anywhere today, so I'll be well-rested and happy staying in. I might even try a walk through the neighborhood for the first time in weeks.

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear you had such a wonderful day yesterday. Dinner sounded amazing and it's great you are spending so much time with Lowell. I wasn't surprised to read how much the drugs cost--Saul's IL-2 was something like $40,000--it really boggles the mind, doesn't it? All I can say is how thankful I am that we have insurance coverage too! Neulasta sounds alot like Procrit or Epogen that my patients get to keep them from getting transfusions. Have a wonderful Friday and restful shabbat. I am inspired by how involved you are with your treatment and your strength. Keep on keeping on! Much love to you and Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phyllis. I don't know how women do this without the support system I have, or the good insurance coverage. I may complain about the insurance now and then, but when it works and when it pays, it's GOOD. We must plan that kosher sushi dinner some time!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,
    I am so glad that things are going well for you! It is wonderful that you had such a good time with your son last night. I hope that your walk through the neighborhood is fun for you today. Take care. I am praying for you that you will continue to feel good this next week.

    I went out and volunteered for 2 hours for Salvation Army yesterday by ringing their bell for donations at our local grocery store. I haven't heard back on my job application and I am missing being around people so it was a whole lot of fun for me to have this to do.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda,
    Good for you for volunteering! Too bad about the job app. I hope things work out sooner or later for a job. I never did get out to do that walk. I did some more little things around the house and watched a lot of TV episodes online that I had missed. I also napped. Maybe I don't have the energy back that I thought I had, or maybe I'm just being lazy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have indigestion just from hearing what you ate!! Are you and/or Mark coming to Greenbelt this weekend? I do not have a local phone number for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky,

    I'm so glad that you are feeling good. I will pray that this continues for next week's celebrations.

    I also am glad that Evey's coming next week to see you and Mark and the rest of your family. That will be a very nice visit for you. :-)

    You weren't the only one cleaning...We took the whole week to do it. Yesterday morning my muscles starting hurting and today, I'm pooped and my muscles still hurt from cleaning, vaccuuming and organizing things that we hadn't looked at in several months because of my hospital stay and illnesses during spring and summer.

    Today, I went to Trader Joe's because John and I are having the traditional Thanksgiving meal sometime in December. TJ's had some great Thanksgiving fixin's. Have you been there? Because I saw some Kosher food.

    John and I are taking his mom to a restaurant in MD on Thanksgiving, this is what John's dad and her used to do for Thanksgiving.

    Ok, here is another one liner: If you can get honey to come out of a plastic teddy bear, shouldn't you be able to get honey to come out of a plastic bee?

    Hope you had a great day today.

    Love you both,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete