Saturday, November 23, 2013

Shabbat

Last night's Shabbat dinner at the synagogue was delicious. The president and her husband actually cooked two whole turkeys to serve to everybody.  There was salad, rolls, turkey, stuffing, mashed carrots, and loads of desserts after the service.  Everything was served to you from the buffet, so portions were about the same for everyone.  I stuck to my plan and did NOT go back for seconds and did NOT go to the dessert table.  Unfortunately, the stuffing serving was kind of big and very delicious. It included craisins.  Also the carrots were saturated in sugar because there is not way mashed carrots could be that sweet.  They said "carrots" as they were serving me, or otherwise, I would have thought they were sweet potatoes!  The salad also had craisins and mandarin oranges in it, although not a lot of either one.  When I went home, I tried to estimate my calories. I had cut back a little on my original lunch plan, so I went to dinner with 850 calories available.  Apparently, that wasn't enough. My estimate came to 1,031, and that's just a rough estimate. It's hard to guess how big that stuffing portion was or how many calories were in those sweet carrots.  There were also potato pancakes, which are very difficult to guess.  If my estimate is even close, my day's calories came to 1681 over by 380.  I also never got to the exercise again because shopping and chores just took too long.  If I had been able to swim laps, I would have burned up most of that overage.

Today I was up about a half pound from Wednesday, so that's still pretty good.  Today all my calories will be consumed at home.  My day should not exceed the 1301 I am allowed may very well be a few hundred under that. If Mark has the energy later this afternoon, we will go to the gym for weight machines and take a 30 minute walk.  I have already spend an hour doing little things in the house, including a half hour of rearranging things and sweeping out the garage. I actually worked up quite a sweat doing that, so I must have burned off some calories already!

Tomorrow is the day Evey and Eric arrive.  YAY!!!  We are super excited about that.  Their plane lands around 4:30 tomorrow afternoon.  We will have them until Friday afternoon. 

I'm sure anyone who is a parent and reading this understands my feelings.  As a parent, I literally think about my kids 1 to 100 times a day!  I love them so much!  I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in reverse for them. When my mother was alive, she lived close by me and I talked to her almost every day and saw her several days a week.  I did think about her every day at least once.  My father lived out of state, and I have to admit I did not think about him every single day.  I know my kids are probably more like that because we are far from them. I call them every Sunday, whether they want me to or not.  Sometimes they are available to talk and pick up.  Many times I just leave a voice mail and that's it for the week.  Sometimes I send texts and emails and sometimes they answer, or don't.  Whether they reach out to me or not is not the point.  I will ALWAYS reach out to them and try to keep them in my life, whether they want me or not!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment