Sunday, November 10, 2013

Slow and Steady Wins the Race...not always.

Today we have our final performance.  It's always hard to believe something like this is about to end.  We have had a lot of fun.  After today's matinee, we will have a cast party pot luck supper at the home of the director.  I'm bringing the cheese, crackers, and grapes platter that I took to the costume try-on luncheon.  Mark is bringing his seven layer dip. I heard one man is bringing poached salmon!  I hope so because that would be a great dinner.  Most of my calories will be used at the dinner party, so I'm not too worried about the day. 

I seem to be on another plateau this week.  I dropped the two pounds last week and reported that on Wednesday.  Then I gained one by Thursday morning after eating out Wednesday at Epcot. I lost it on Friday, gained it on Saturday.  This morning, it's still with me, even though my calories were excellent yesterday and low sodium, only 1156 calories for the day yesterday. 

But I have not had any exercise in several days.  Yesterday I wrote about the exercise "myth."  I suspect that exercise isn't 100% necessary to weight loss, at least according to that article I quoted yesterday, but it certainly can speed it up!  If you don't eat back the calories you exercise off, it will make the weight come off a bit faster.  Lots of people probably do eat it back or feel that it's okay to reward themselves with a snack, as the article said, but if you don't DO that, then it MUST speed things up.  This week I have done no aerobic exercise, only weight lifting.  Today I won't be doing any exercise either...maybe tomorrow.

Today I'm going to quote another one of the little articles from the magazine.
Small Changes produce large, long-term weight loss.

FALSE!!

"Slow and steady wins the race.  Two pounds a week maximum.  Rapid weight loss is dangerous and leads to rapid regain.

Bunk, says Casazza. What matters most is that you simply lose weight.  And then keep it off for the long term.  Other than that, there's no secret formula for the best way to do it."

This is interesting!  I have always believed the two pound a week philosophy.  Then again, I've always gained it back, too.  Hm...  Twice I have asked two different doctors, one in Maryland and one in Florida, about bariatric surgery.  When I was over 300 pounds at 5 foot 3 inches, I thought I was a perfect candidate.  I was scared to do it, but at 320 pounds, I was almost scared NOT TO DO IT!  My Maryland doctor said she would support my decision if that's what I wanted.  I never did it, though.  My Florida doctor said not to do it.  Of course, I only weighed a high of 260ish in that office, although that's well within the guidelines for bariatric surgery for my height.  She used the slow and steady argument.  She said losing it rapidly from that kind of surgery wasn't good and would lead to gaining it back.  I believed her because I personally knew several people who had the surgery and then gained it back.  Maybe losing it quickly through that surgery would have allowed me to reach a normal weight and maintain it.  I'll never know.  I will say that I'm very glad I didn't do that surgery.  Being an emotional eater, a binge eater, and a grazer, I am convinced I would have been someone who would have gained the weight back anyway.

This magazine article is saying it doesn't matter how fast or slow the weight comes off, the important thing is to get it off.  Well, I'm sure that's true, but for myself, I think I'll stick to my goal of two pounds a week.  The good thing about doing it slowly is that it allows me a lot of time to change my eating habits and life style.  Ultimately, I think a complete lifestyle change and new relationship with food is the most important thing for my own long term success.


No comments:

Post a Comment