Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Happy Earth Day

In honor of Earth Day, I bought a re-useable water bottle at Epcot this past Sunday.  I used to use an aluminum water bottle.  It's kind of big and heavy.  I used it for years when I was working because it didn't bother me when it was mostly sitting on a desk.  Now that I'm mostly carrying it to the parks or on walks or even the car, that big aluminum bottle just didn't work for me.  I fell back into using the plastic bottles you buy in the store.  Even though I would re-use that same plastic bottle for at least one whole day, maybe more, it would still end up in the recycle bin eventually.

So I bought a really cool Mickey and Minnie plastic water bottle. It has a handle for easy carrying; it's fairly light weight even when filled; it fits into the car cup holder.  I'm very happy with it! 

Yesterday I was very pleased with my hair color and highlights.  I asked my stylist to lighten it up a shade over what I've been doing for the last four years.  It looks much more like my original color now.  Mark and I both agreed it's an improvement.

Our dinner party last night went very well.  Everything was delicious and it's fun to talk to Barb and Ed.  I did not eat as well as I should have, unfortunately.  I exceeded my calories by 350.  If I had done the same amount of exercise as I did on Monday, I would have been a little under my allotment because I burned 423 calories in exercise that day.  Sadly, I did not exercise yesterday because of the long time in the salon.  My total calories for the day yesterday was 1957, and I'm allowed 1606.  For a more rapid weight loss I need to burn those extra calories and not eat them back.  Losing weight for me works best if I stay between 1200 and 1400.

As I thought about it when I went to bed last night, there were several decisions that I made that were poor and caused me to go over my calorie allowance.  I ate a good breakfast and lunch in preparation for the big dinner.  I also ate nothing else after dinner.  Those were not the problem areas. Of the 1957 calories, 1293 were at dinner!  Here's my mistakes.  I ate two servings of the main dish. I ate two sourdough dinner rolls with real butter.  If I had eaten only one, I would have saved 200 calories.  For dessert I took two of the sugar free cookies.  If I had eaten only one, I would have saved 100 calories.  If I had not had BOTH a glass of wine AND a shot of whiskey, I would have saved another 100 calories.  Boom.  I would have been within my daily calorie amount by just changing that little bit.  One roll, one cookie, one drink.  Unfortunately, I did not think of that at the dinner table, so I kept reaching for that second thing.

Tonight we are having yet another dinner party with a couple who have just arrived at the Cove from Massachusetts for a few days. We got a call from them yesterday, so we invited them to dinner.  Hey, we have a lot of leftovers, so we are serving some of the same things: same rolls, salad, broccoli, sugar free cookies, wine and whiskey.  The main dish last night was a Spanish Potato Omelet in a slow cooker, which really looked and tasted like a frittata. Tonight we are having Pasta with Romanesco sauce.  I have programmed my day with two servings of the main dish but only one roll, one cookie, and no wine.  That should make my calories 1600 on the dot, six less than I'm allowed.  I will be going to the pool this afternoon and will do some exercise, so the day is going to look much better than yesterday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment