Sunday, April 26, 2015

Tom and Cathy arrive today at 2 p.m.

We haven't seen Tom and Cathy in about two years, and we're really looking forward to having them stay for a week with us.  They are Cove people like us, so the upcoming week will be filled with many days at the Cove, relaxing, swimming, catching up, and soaking up some Florida sun.

Yesterday I had another great day with food.  I also lifted the weights and took a 20 minute walk.  My calories for the day were 1252, subtract the 125 burned in exercise, and I get a net caloric intake for the day of 1127.  I'm starting to get excited for stepping on the scale tomorrow morning!  It's been a great week.  I will report it first thing tomorrow.

It's amazing how having a great week of eating right and exercising regularly makes you feel so good.  LOL!  Well, that's not really a surprise to anyone is it?  The problem is that I also feel good when I stuff myself silly...at least while it's happening.  Then I feel terrible and beat myself up about it later.  This feels better.  I hope I can remember that the next time I start to feel out of control.

I am seriously considering getting a new car (well, used car) pretty soon, like Wednesday.  I have been wanting to buy a hybrid for a very long time, and now may be the time.  I have debated among a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, Prius V hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid, Toyota Camry Hybrid, and Ford C-Max Hybrid.  There are plenty of others out there, but I never considered them.

I polled people I know with various types of cars.  I also just couldn't bring myself to buy non-American.  Eventually, I realized I couldn't leave the Ford family.  Just been there way too long.  So...that narrowed it down to the Fusion or the C-Max.  I got great letters back from Ron with his C-Max and Eliot with his Fusion.  Both love their cars and gave them highest marks.  Then it came down to finding the right car for sale. I also don't want a white, black, or silver car.  I have had all of those, and recently there have been too many black ones in our family.  Currently, Mark's Focus is silver, and although we have had the same color of car before (two black Focuses), I just don't feel like doing it now.  I'm really craving a new color! That eliminated a lot of possible cars.  I also want it to be no more than two years old and have no more than 25, 000 miles on it and not cost an arm and a leg.  But, the biggest thing is that it MUST hold our four suitcases in the trunk!

Finally, the right car popped up.  Carmax in Orlando has a red Ford C-Max SEL with 25,000 miles on it for 20,998.  I now have an appointment for Wednesday afternoon to go see it.  I called the same salesman who worked with Mark a year and a half ago when he bought his 2011 Focus.  The man is the son-in-law of the man who owns All Cars in Kissimmee where we have been having our cars services for the last five years down here.  We enjoyed the car buying experience at Carmax, so I'm hoping it goes as smoothly for me.  I plan to take the suitcases with me and test the trunk. I'll also do a serious test drive because I've never driven a hybrid.  In fact, I've never even ridden in one.  At least I don't remember doing so.  I'm looking forward to that test drive on Wednesday.

One more interesting thing...the Ford Focus is assembled in Mexico.  The C-Max is assembled in the USA.  I know I'm making the right decision!

One final thing is the very sad situation in Baltimore.  I have been watching what's going on with the protests and riots in the city over the death of Freddie Gray. How sad!  It's sad that he died in police custody. It just seems like one more incidence of police making bad decisions.  But the mostly peaceful protests over the last few days descended into riots around the Camden Yard stadium last night.  Ridiculous. It does not promote your cause to loot stores, smash windows, and turn over cars.  Fans in the stadium were not allowed to leave after the game ended.  It ended late, too, because the O's beat the Red Sox in the tenth inning.  Who knows what will happen today? The sister of the man killed was on TV calling for peace and an end to the violence.  Six police officers have been suspended because of it, pending a full investigation.  The black female Mayor of Baltimore and the  white male police chief have both admitted the police did not follow procedures.  What more can you ask of city officials at this early stage?  It seems like they are doing all they can.  Rioting and acting like hoodlums does not promote anyone's agenda, in my opinion.  And I am SO GLAD that Lowell is married and lives in Columbia now!  Wow!  For about three years he lived in a condo right next to City Hall where all the protesting started.  Crazy.  That would have made me very afraid.


No comments:

Post a Comment