Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hanukkah dinner party and Mah Jongg

Today is another fun-filled day full of food. I skipped breakfast because I went to play Mah Jongg for brunch. I didn't know what kind of food I would find. I found bagels, home-made nut/raisin cream cheese, whipped cream cheese, white fish salad, vegetable salad in vinegar, fresh cut-up fruit, fresh baby carrots, and onions/tomatoes for the bagels. At first, I thought, "There is nothing here I can eat." I knew the white fish salad and bagels with cream cheese would far exceed the 450 calories I had set for myself as a limit. And to make matters worse, it was also a birthday party so there was a homemake chocolate cake and homemade dreidle shaped cookies for dessert. OY!

The hostess knows that I am on a diet, so she showed me a "roll" that was multi-grain, very flat, and only 100 calories for the whole thing. So I used one of those instead of a big, bakery-style bagel. I put less than 2T of whipped cream cheese on it (60 calories) plus a few slices of tomato and red onion (20 calories). On the side I added 35 calories of baby carrots and about 100 calories of fresh fruits: grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and cantalope. When dessert came out, I stuck to a very small piece of chocolate cake which literally took only three small bites to eat. I estimated another 80 calories for the cake. When I left, I felt triumphant that I had consumed only about 400 calories! I also won one game of Mahj, so the day was perfect.

Tonight my sister Cindy and my son Lowell are coming to join us for a special Hanukkah dinner. It's the third night. We will light candles, share presents, eat dinner, and then a very special activity, Texas Hold-em Dreidle!! Who knew!? Mark heard about it on TV yesterday and carefully wrote down the rules. I have the table all set up for it, and I can't wait to see their faces when I tell them what we're going to do.

Meanwhile dinner and dessert will have a lot of calories, but since I only had 400 today so far, I know that I'm going to close to 800 for this special occasion. The Hungry Girl Cheesy Bean Enchillada is 190. That will come with salad (100: 40 in veggies, 60 in cheese), one lo-carb, lo-fat latke (100), and green beans (35). Before dinner Mark is serving a special Hungry Girl Egg Nog with rum, 160 calories. Dessert is going to be very special since today is National Ice Cream and Violins day (don't ask, we can't find out why this particular pairing on this particular day), but we're going to serve everyone half a cup of Edy's light Egg Nog ice cream (110) plus one sugar-free wafer cookie (35), one sugar-free dark chocolate (30), and two tangelo segments (20). It will look gorgeous and be only a total of 185 calories. This fabulous dessert will be served with coffee while we play the Texas Hold-Em Dreidle and listen to violin music. Can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment