Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Walking is good.

I went to visit my 90 year old aunt. She was married once for a little while in the 1940s, but she never had any children. She was such a dynamo all her life, very athletic, a champion basketball player in her high school years, on a regular bowling league all of her adult life. She lived alone, and I always admired how she could do anything. She could fix anything that broke on her house. I would see her up on ladders, painting, hammering, nailing. She was amazing.

She didn't look much like the aunt I remembered. Sometimes she sort of responded to things and spoke, but mostly she just leaned over and looked tired. She's in a nursing home, confined to a wheelchair, eating only soft foods because she has no teeth or dentures. Still I was glad I went. I had wanted to take pictures, but the camera's batteries were dead. I'm going to go back and visit again Monday after work. I really enjoyed catching up on the news with cousin Irene and her husband Gary. It's been way too long since I had seen them. Between them they have six children, fifteen grandchildren, and fifteen great-grandchildren. What an awesome twosome!

When I got home, I went for a walk. I walked exactly 3 miles in an hour and ten minutes. It's not a 5k, but it's very close. I felt great while I was doing it. I also ate very well today. If I stick to the plan and only have my banana and two sugar-free popsicles later tonight, I will clock in at exactly 1100 calories today. It's been a good day.

Did I mention I bought an awesome pair of cowboy boots last night? What a treat for myself! I wore them all day today (except on the walk) and I loved how they looked.

1 comment:

  1. So, are we going to see a picture of you in those great cowboy boots?

    ReplyDelete