Thursday, January 21, 2010

Binge Eating Disorder

I have been doing some reading on this topic, and I'm convinced that this is my problem. I did a lot of reading in some books in the school library today, mostly geared towards teenagers, and then I looked at a few websites tonight. This one, http://www.helpguide.org/mental/binge_eating_disorder.htm, has quite a good description of the disorder:

"Binge eating disorder is characterized by compulsive overeating in which people consume huge amounts of food while feeling out of control and powerless to stop. A binge eating episode typically lasts around two hours, but some people binge on and off all day long. Binge eaters often eat even when they’re not hungry and continue eating long after they’re full."

Well, that's totally me. Many times I have started eating and just kept going and going, like the Energizer bunny. I eat far beyond feeling full. I eat without tasting it. I eat until I'm almost numb. I often would fall asleep afterwards because of the high sugar/carbohydrate content.

Here's a list of behavioral symptoms from this website, and except for the last one, they are all true of me:

  • Inability to stop eating or control what you’re eating
  • Rapidly eating large amounts of food
  • Eating even when you’re full
  • Hiding or stockpiling food to eat later in secret
  • Eating normally around others, but gorging when you’re alone
  • Eating continuously throughout the day, with no planned mealtimes
Most of the literature says that this is a disorder that has not been studied as much or for as long as the usual eating disorders of anorexia nervosa and bulimia, but that it may be very widespread. It is also difficult to control. Wow, so true! Most of the case studies that I read were people like me who had dealt with it for decades. They also made the same sorts of references to alcoholism that I have made for years. Overaters Anonymous is one organization that is set up to help people with this. They follow the same sort of 12 step program that Alcoholics Anonymous does. I looked at their website today also. I probably should join, but since I will be on vacation and in the process of moving, it doesn't seem like a good time to join. I think I will seriously consider it when we get settled in Florida. Fighting a food addiction one day at a time is the same as fighting any other addiciton, and the more support systems a person has in place, the higher his chance of success becomes.

I have added a link to Overeaters Anonymous and the Help Guide for Binge Eating Disorder on the side of this blog for anyone who may wish to explore it further.

No comments:

Post a Comment