Sunday, January 31, 2010

Show was GREAT!! Also a night of Murphy's Laws.




Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Yesterday was a perfect example of that law in action! First of all the weather. OY. Two weeks ago the long range forecast was sunny. The closer the date got, the worse the forecast sounded: sunny, cloudy, snow showers, light snow, moderate snow, storm warnings. OY. Then it started to snow, and snow, and snow some more. Places that weren't supposed to get any got dumped on. It was a mess.

So the whole day was filled with fielding phone calls: on or off? will we or won't we? We had out of town guests from Buffalo, NY; Philadephia, PA; East Brunswick, NJ; and Boston, Mass. They were already here and not able to return any other time. So we made the hard call of going on with the show. About 90 of the total 163 people did make it to the show. Thanks to all of you who may read this blog and know that you slogged out there in the nasty weather to get to the show. You were truly appreciated.

Because the road conditions were so poor, we started out early. It was a slow and torturous ride, but we made it safely. Then the rest of Murphy's Law kicked in. I forgot to bring my makeup and my jewelry. NO going back, even though our friends volunteered to go back. It was just not safe. The Sisterhood gift shop loaned me necklaces to wear! I also had mascara from the show's producer and lipstick (which doubled as blush) from the pianist. Yay!!!

Next my son, the lead guitarist on four songs and solo singer on another, couldn't make it. The roads in Baltimore were just too slick. Then the bass guitarist couldn't make it. Ditto for his reasons. OK. We went on with drums and piano just fine, but I missed the depth of sound of the guitars, and I really, really missed performing with my son for the first time.

Then the pianist came in and realized she had forgotten her music! ALL of her music!! YIKES. The drummer had his copies, so we had the synagogue office opened up, and the pianist and her friend madly copied all of the music from the drummer's set. Then she realized that the drummer had one of the songs in a different key than I'm supposed to sing in because she had transposed it by hand for herself and the guitarist. OY. She did it by heart/ear/brain/fingers/muscle memory, SOMEHOW! She managed to play in the right key. Yay!!! Right before one of the songs, she's whispering to me, "Psst....this copy of the song has a different introduction. Just warning you." Ha! Ha! We love you, Murphy. You're such a fun guy, whoever you are!

Despite ALL of this, the show was a huge success. Everyone who attended ate a delicious dinner and enjoyed an entertaining evening. I hope the Sisterhood made some money after all.

The best news is that we are going to do it again. The precise date and time are not determined, but it's looking to be very, very soon. If you are reading this and missed the show, then all is not lost. You will get a second chance.

Now I'm off to see a movie and get some relaxation for myself!!

PS. I weighed 209 walking out onto the stage. One pound under my revised goal of 210. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment