Sunday, August 15, 2010

Heading North

We all knew today had to come, but somehow I'm still not happy about it. LOL

Today is the day we have to head north to stay with my sister and remember that I have breast cancer. We are driving as far as Florence, SC today, about 490 miles. Tomorrow we will get to my sister Cindy's house in Baltimore. I have two appointments next week leading up to surgery the following week. I'm resigned to it, and I will do it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

Yesterday was another great day. We enjoyed the synagogue service very much, although we got there really late. It's a solid 45 minute drive, so we need to get an earlier start. At kiddush I spoke to another wonderful woman who is a breast cancer survivor. I never tire of these women's brave stories. She has hit her five year mark cancer-free.

After synagogue we went back home, but we had no time to go to the pool after all. We had lunch, organized a few things, and it was time to head to the Disney Hollywood Studios. This time we ensured that there would be no rain by packing our new ponchos and schlepping them around in the park. It worked like a charm.

Our objective today was the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror because they had tweeked it just a bit for the Summer Nightastic program, and Saturday, August 14 was the last night of that program. We arrived about 4:30 and the park was closing at 7, which was odd. Usually it closes at 9 or later in the summer, but we found out that it was also the final day for the long-running ride, Star Tours. So tonight there was a special ticketed party for Star Wars fans which started at 7. It was fun for us because there were lots of people looking very hot walking around in really cool Star Wars costumes.

We thought it would be hard to get on the rides, but the park was not crowded, maybe because people were coming for the party later on. At any rate, we walked right on the Tower of Terror and dropped four times. Very cool. Then we decided to see if it was possible to do Star Tours on its last day. Yup. Just walked right on. Amazing. I don't really like simulation rides much and have not done this one in literally 20 years, but I did it yesterday just because it was not going to be there anymore.

We also came for a special live band performance, which was on the half hours. We caught the second half of the 5:30 show on the way to Star Tours. After ST we rode The Great Movie Ride because it's one of my favorites, no line either. Then we had only a 5 minute wait for the next live band show. We wanted to see the first half that we missed but realized they were doing an entirely different batch of songs. It was fun. We reluctantly left the park at 6:50 p.m. to head home for dinner and a movie. Mark watched the second Transformers movie with dinner and when he was done eating, promptly fell asleep. The only reason I didn't fall asleep was because I was trying to make and upload a video of the house for Evey. It took hours! Eventually I was able to get a six and a half minute video online for her.

This morning we are going to pack. It's not fun. It's not like packing for an exciting and much anticipated vacation. I have no comparisons to make for this trip. It is not going to be fun, that is all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment