Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pre-Op Physical has come and gone.

I'm posting tonight because there will simply not be time tomorrow morning. I have an appointment at 8:30 a.m. at LabCorp in Laurel, an hour's drive from here, to have my pre-op blood draw. The fun never ends.

We are heading to Savannah, GA tomorrow, which is over 600 miles from Cindy's house, and we have to make the stop at Lab Corp first. Oh, well...

So I'm not going to fire up the computer in the morning to type a blog. Sorry!

Pre-op went well. I LOVE Dr. Marino! She's an amazing lady. Mark and I have been her patients for probably 25 years and have followed her hither and thither as she kept changing offices. She was so solicitous of me today, even offering me sleeping pills or tranquilizers! Ha Ha!! She didn't actually put it like that, but I think that's what it would have been. She also was the first doctor to say quite bluntly that radiation will make me TIRED!! She said it's killing cells in your body and it's cumulative and you will feel very tired. Everyone else hems and haws about how some do, some don't. I bet she's right. I bet everyone feels tired. Your body is being bombarded with deadly radiation. How could it not be tired trying to fight back from the inside?

Mark and I took a walk at noon today before we went to the doctor. We walked Cindy's mile and a half track and were shocked to see that it took as long as it took to do two and a quarter miles in the indoor track. We can only guess that the hills, uneven sidewalks, curbs, and excessive heat and humidity just take more out of you to do less distance. Weird, yet we enjoyed ourselves.

Tomorrow there will be no exercise, just driving, and driving, and driving some more. Fortunately, Mark and I like driving together. We buy USA Today and he reads aloud all the articles, especially the little paragraphs from every state. They are always amusing! You just have to wonder sometimes if really NOTHING else happened that day in that state that they had to print THAT story!!?? If you've never read the states in USA Today, you really must give it a try at some point. Especially if you're driving and someone else is reading.

3 comments:

  1. Great doctor. Back to basics. It will suck not to have the energy to do the things you want to do--but the reality is--you should always listen to your body. Respect when it tells you that you're tired and rest. And so, I'm taking my advice and going to sleep early tonight. School has been exhilerating--but exhausting. And it's not even halfway through the week--aargh!

    Never thought of reading USA Today for the humor. Will keep it in mind. Know I said it before, have a great trip HOME. Your oasis awaits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest up! It's good advice. Ha ha USA Today isn't really that humorous. Mark and I just make it that way. Next blog is all about what we read today. Smooth trip to Savannah, GA. Hang in there. The week is almost over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becky! Hey Mark! I got your email advising me of this blog site and after reading every single word you wrote I must say that I respect and admire you even more. Both of you. Now for the serious thoughts: It sounds like you're having a ball in Florida! I'm enjoying myself just reading about all the fun you're having!! After your surgery you'll just have to get your as- well so that I can continue to have more fun! I want to go on the Harry Potter ride (the one with the broom) LOL

    Take care,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete