Wednesday, August 25, 2010

September 16 is the surgery date.

I got the call from the hospital surgical scheduler. I am having the surgery on Thursday, September 16 and have to report at 5:45 a.m. Early, but what else is there to do that morning? Can't have coffee or breakfast anyway.

I have to go to the nuclear medicine department to get injected with dye first for the sentinel node biopsy. It has to circulate for an hour or so. At 9:15 I'm scheduled in the OR for three procedures: sentinel node biopsy, partial mastectomy, and repair ventral hernia. The insurance says I can stay as many nights as the doctor thinks is medically necessary and will pay 95% of it. I think one night will do nicely because I bet 95% of all of that is going to be a small fortune!! The good news is that they will pay 100% of the radiation treatments afterwards. Other good news is that I have already met my deductible for the year.

On happier notes, I have emptied two huge boxes of pictures and found homes for most of them. I used existing hooks, but I need to get some more. We had a lot of pictures and things hanging on our walls in the old house. I also got a lot of boxes just moved around to more appropriate rooms. Many things just got put in the living room and dining room even though they did not really belong there. Sadly that meant the family room and guest room are a bit messier now. Still, it's only temporary. Little by little things are getting done.

I'm about to go empty at least six boxes just by putting the coffee mug collection in the cabinet.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Things are moving. So if the surgery is the 16th, when do you need to be back up here?

    Good feeling to be emptying boxes. The more you put away, the more you make it your home. Bought some new running/walking shoes for my morning exercise and some good open shoes (not quite sandals--kind of like a cross between sandals and shoes) at REI for school. Wanted something that gave me good support since I'm on my feet a lot.

    Choir tonight--miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at choir. I'll get to hear you at the holidays! We are flying back on August 30 for the pre-op on August 31. Then we are immediately driving back down here until the day after Labor Day. We'll head up and go to the Rosens for the holidays. I'll go back to my sister's house on Sept. 13 for the duration. Obviously I won't make it to Yom Kippur, but I feel blessed that I can make it to Rosh Hashanah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to get out of fasting! Glad you'll be with us for Rosh Hashanah. It will be good to hear Mark do the Haftorah on the 2nd day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha! I hadn't thought of that. So good timing on my part. I'll remind Mark he's reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a Jordan Sparks song called "One Step at a Time" that one of my clients introduced me to and now I love it as much as she does. You can find it on YouTube (it starts off with the sound of her high heels hitting the sidewalk - very cool). Give it a listen - who knows - it could become your theme song.

    Glad you now have a date for surgery. Looking forward to seeing you on Rosh Hashana. Maybe you can sing along with the choir at least on
    "Sim Shalom" - why should Mark have all the fun?

    Happy unpacking!

    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky,

    Found your blog again and Saul and I send our love. His surgery was around Yom Kippur too 3 years ago, cause that's where we were during the holiday. Happy unpacking , my friend!!

    ReplyDelete