Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Road Trip

We are having a good time on our trip to Florida. Sunday night at our friends Tom and Cathy's house was a lot of fun. Coincidentally, our mutual friend Shari and her boyfriend Steven had also planned to stop over. So the six of us had a delicious dinner at a Greensboro, NC Indian restaurant, lots of great conversation, and a fabulous home-cooked breakfast in their dining room yesterday morning. Bonus: They have two fabulous dogs, an elderly little one and a two year old crazy puppy. The puppy, aptly named Chewy, is part Australian Shepherd and part Australian Cattle Dog. He was sweet and cuddly, soft and fluffy. I loved playing with him.

Although I overate terribly at the restaurant and the breakfast, I did have one "skinny" moment. Cathy had bought a pair of 2X Just My Size pants, black cargo capris with a zipper, button, and drawstring, very cute. They did not fit her and still had the tags on. She offered them to me, but when I saw them I figured they would not fit because JMS 2x clearly said 18-20. All my pants with zippers (which is a recent thing for me anyway!) are size 22. So I told her they wouldn't fit. She insisted I try them on, and MIRACULOUSLY they fit perfectly!! I KNOW I have not lost weight, on the contrary, but maybe these pants were cut big or my weight has been redistributed (LOL), but they really fit well. I was very proud to wear my size 18-20 pants to dinner that night and again the next night in Myrtle Beach!

With promises to return, we bid a fond farewell to Tom and Cathy and drove to Myrtle Beach to visit my brother Mark and his wife Carol. I was embarrassed that Mark has lived here so long, but we had never visited. On the other hand his previous wife, who died unexpectedly a number of years ago, was not especially friendly to the family. He met his new wife Carol not long after he became a widower. They have been together a few years, but they are newlyweds since they just got married on March 2 of this year. They are SO happy together. We felt so much love in their house last night.

Mark (my brother that is) has been drunk for years and has recently sobered up. The family is very proud of him for that, so it was fun to be around him again. They took us out to dinner at Bonefish Grille, a restaurant I had been wanting my Mark to try. It was delicious. Then they drove us to the beach. Their house is about four blocks right to the ocean. Amazing. Carol parked right by the beach, and we strolled out in the dark, kicked off our shoes, walked on the soft sand right out into the warm water. Fireworks were being set off in the distance to our left and to our right. It was very dark, overcast, no moon, no stars, but warm and magical. Wow!

Of course, I won't even tell you what I ate at the restaurant. Very naughty. Today is Tuesday, weigh-in day, but the scale is buried in the car and inaccessible. I guess I might be able to drag it out if I tried, but I'm not trying. OY! I am fearing that moment when I have to step on it. I did get on the scale Sunday morning back in Laurel, and I weighed 217. I just hope I'm not going over 220 on this trip.

Today we are going out to breakfast (HA! another opportunity to overeat) with one of Mark's former co-workers who now lives in Myrtle Beach. That should be fun. Then we are taking a leisurely drive south to Savannah, GA for our next stop-over. Wednesday we will be in Orlando.

The settlement on the house is proceeding smoothly. I spoke to our agent yesterday, and it looks like it's going to be first thing in the morning on Friday, August 6 so we can have the rest of the day to enjoy being homeowners in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment