Thursday, August 5, 2010

Productive busy day

Today we jumped over many of Florida's hoops towards home ownership.

First, we had to show up in person with a house contract, photo ID, and a credit card to pay a year's home owner's insurance policy with Farm Bureau Insurance in order to get the proper paperwork to take to settlement tomorrow.

Second, we went in person to Toho Water Authority to set up a water account. They wanted a contract for the house, photo ID, social security card, and a $150 deposit, refundable after two years of paying the bill on time, but there will be water in the house tomorrow.

Third, Mark called Progress Electric and some time between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. the electric will come back on. We certainly hope for the earliest possible time.

Fourth, Mark called Verizon to set up a new land line phone for local calls only just so we can get delivery trucks through the guard house at Solivita. It will be effective tomorrow, but it took many phone calls to get that done.

Fifth, we went to the bank to wire money to the title company. Here they like the buyer to send the money the day BEFORE settlement. We had never wired money, so we didn't know that the bank stopped doing that two hours before closing, which was exactly, to the minute, when we arrived. Turns out the title company will take a cashier's check after all. Now I have a whopping big check made out to the title company in my purse.

Sixth, I got my eyes examined in order to pass the Florida driver's license eye exam next week. I thought I'd need new glasses, but it turned out my prescription had not changed. I only had to pay the price of the exam, which wasn't bad. I really liked the eye doctor, so I'll be his patient forever!

Seventh, we got excellent news from the title company about the settlement costs. Our agent had estimated them to be in the 4k to 5k range. Mark's research online had shown them to be more like 1k to 2k in Florida, so we were curious as to how ours would turn out and what they would be. We were in for a very pleasant shock. Our total costs over the actual price of the house, are you sitting down and holding on to something?, only $482.10. Unbelievable. When we finally got the email around 10 a.m. this morning, we actually called to be sure we didn't owe more. We just could not believe it. Very, very nice surprise.

The day started out a little rough with Mark and I getting frustrated and a bit testy with each other at breakfast. I was gloomy over my prognosis and took it out on him, I guess. Anyway we put all that aside later and the day went well.

I know it's really, really important to say positive, energized, focused, and stress-free in order to maximize my chances of a full and complete recovery. Unfortunately that is not as easy as it sounds.

I ate really, really WELL today! I'm proud of that and all the things we got done today.

At 9 a.m. tomorrow, barring anything unforseen, we will own a home in Florida. It has been our dream and our goal for a decade. It still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment