Saturday, August 21, 2010

Shabbat rest

It's Shabbat morning in Cindy's house. She is not here right now, but Mark and I are preparing to go to Mishkan Torah as always on Saturday morning; however, today it will be about an hour's drive. That's ok with us.

I think today is the day I say mourner's kaddish for my Dad, who died in August of 1988. I think I remember getting the notification from Mishkan Torah, but in all the confusion of moving I can't find it. Maybe it's at home. It still feels funny to say "at home" and mean Florida, but in a really nice way. I bought a yahrzeit candle, so I'm hoping to find out when to light it today.

After services, Mark is going to the gym and I'm going to play Mah Jongg with my girlfriends. I'm excited about that. I like to play, and I especially like to play with these ladies. I don't know when I'll get a chance to play again with them, or anyone, for awhile so this is a real treat. They have Mahj twice a week in Solivita, Tuesday afternoon and Saturday morning, so I hope to go on a Tuesday and meet some new players sooner or later. I'm sure it will never be as much fun as it has been with the Mishkan Torah Mah Jongg Maniacs! You rock, girls!!

I did a lot more reading about lumpectomy and radiation vs mastectomy, recovery times, complications, etc. last night online and in the booklets. I'm becoming convinced that radiation isn't too bad and the less surgery the better. I'm getting worried about lymphedema and it's consequences. It's a risk after lymph node dissection no matter which type of surgery I choose. If they can find the sentinel node and take only 1 to 3 nodes, obviously my risk for lymphedema will be less, but everyone is at risk for it after breast cancer surgery. It's one of those things no one told me except the websites, breastcancer.org and the lymphedema site. No doctor has mentioned it.

Some of the ways to prevent developing it after node dissection will definitely impact my personal lifestyle: no articifical fingernails (boo hoo), no professional manicures (sad), and no hot-tubbing (almost unbearable). I will continue to look into this possibility, even though there isn't anything I can do about it. I will be having a few lymph nodes removed for biopsy, and obviously the fingernails and hot tubs are not worth my life. I know it, but it's just one more thing I don't have to like about having cancer.

2 comments:

  1. Great seeing you, Becky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great having a chance to play mahj with you. Nice way to spend Shabbat. Need to find another way to pamper yourself that does not include manicures or pedicures. Hmmm. Massage, getting your hair done, Mary Kay makeover, more mahj...will keep thinking.

    ReplyDelete