Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chemo Five: Taxol

I left for the cancer center at 7 a.m. It was a dark, windy, rainy, warm, and humid morning. The traffic was surprisingly light, so we got there easily.

Taxol is a nearly six hour event. It started at 8 a.m. and we finished at 1:30 p.m. They brought me lunch, and Mark went to the hospital Subway and brought his salad back to eat with me. I was very nervous about this infusion because of the many allergic reactions that were possible. Fortunately I had none of them. I did get sleepy because of the IV Benadryl. There were four pre-meds for nausea and to prevent allergic reactions. They took an hour. The "first timers" are put in a bed and their vital signs are monitored every fifteen minutes once the Taxol starts. There were three of us there for the first time today.

I did sleep a bit with the Benadryl, but I did not have a serious allergic reaction. YAY!! Finally something went my way. I have to take a Celebrex twice a day for five days and a Claritin once a day for the same five days, starting tomorrow. These will help mitigate some of the possible side effects. Nausea is still a possibility, but it's less than from the previous drugs. I can still use the prescription pills I have here for that if needed. Hair loss is still happening, so I was told not to expect it to return until Feruary or March at the earliest. The new possible side effects are joint aches and flu like all-over achiness. The Celebrex and Claritin are supposed to lessen the possibility of this happening or make it feel easier. I'm also allowed to take the narcotic pain killers left over from my surgery. Ironically, I didn't use any of them for the surgery and a few weeks ago I disposed of all of them. Sigh. I can also use Advil if I want. Another real possibility is tingling in the hands and feet, neuropathy. This can be quite severe or not at all. Only time will tell. The final warning I got from the doctor is that my nail beds can turn dark, and the nails may even fall off. I am really hoping that doesn't happen. It sounds awful. All of these side effects will happen as early as tomorrow, so I'll see how it is in the morning. Meanwhile I felt GREAT all day!!

I do still have to go back to the chemo center tomorrow for my neulasta shot. The white cells will still go down next week like before, so I still have to think carefully about being around a lot of people or anyone sick. I also had my labs done yesterday and my appointment with the doctor. I do have C Diff again. I have a 14 day course of Flagyl to take again, and an undated prescription for another 14 days should it flare up again in the future. I have four genital cysts popping up again, so I'm soaking in a hot tub with the Domeboro powder again to see if they go away.

When my oncologist walked into the room, she said, "I'm going to shoot you." She had already heard about my issues from the nurse! She did compliment me on staying out of the hospital over Thanksgiving though. We all attributed that to her decision to reduce my dose for chemo 4. We are hoping that the Flagyl and the cysts resolve before those white cells go down next week. When they were going down during the hospital stay, my numbers were 800, 550, 310, and then miraculously 1100. 1,000 and up is good. Yesterday I was 9,100!! I thought that was amazing. All my blood work was excellent. YAY!! Another thing going my way.

Tonight was the first night of Hanukkah. Mark made us latkes with sour cream and apple sauce. He also bought us three donuts. We had leftover spaghetti and salad. It was a delicious dinner. Mark said Hungry Girl announced that this is National Red Apple day, so we are all eating a red apple tonight with our donut as we watch Psych on TV at 10 p.m. That should be fun. We wrapped all our presents and made a big pile in the living room. It looks gorgeous. Cindy, although not Jewish, is participating in Hanukkah fully with us tonight. She has a big stash of presents here from us. Mark and I can NEVER buy her enough presents to make up for opening her home to us for these six months of my treatment. These gifts are meager tokens of our love and appreciation. Mark and I lit our menorahs and sang the traditional Hanukkah blessings before dinner so we could watch them glow as we ate dinner. After dinner we opened our first gifts. Mark and I gave each other our iPhones in advance, but Cindy had a gift for each of us. Also my other brother Mark and his wife Carol sent me a box of 8 presents! In our family gift exchange drawing, Mark Wyatt drew my name. He has outdone himself by sending a Hanukkah Gift Box of 8 things just for me! Wow! I was impressed.

Hanukkah fun will continue for seven more nights, but only tomorrow will be full of family. Kip, Denise, Logan, Lowell, and his girlfriend Emily are all joining us. In addition to candles and presents (for everyone!), we will play Texas Hold'em Dreidle. Mark discovered it last year and we played it with Lowell and Cindy. Tomorrow there will be 8 people playing. I'll let you know who wins!

4 comments:

  1. Is happy Hanukkah the right thing to say? Anyway it sounds like you will have some fun with Haunukkah this year. I am so happy that your Taxol went well today. I hope that you get to skip all of the unpleasant side effects. I am going to google Texas Hold'em Dreidle. That sounds like it would be fun. We made dreidles with the kids at our church in Bible School last summer and so I learned a little about how to play with them. I want to know how to combine Texas Hold'em with dreidles though. If you start getting in alot of pain from the Taxol maybe they will give you some more narcotics. I will keep you in my prayers that you will stay comfortable though and that before you know it you will be getting ready for your cruise. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Rhonda, Happy Hanukkah is a very appropriate thing to say. Thanks! Thanks also for the supportive words and prayers. I love them. I really hope to breeze through the last few weeks of chemo. Of course, I still have to take the Flagyl because the C Diff is very uncomfortable right now. I think in about four days it should clear up, but I have to take the pills for 14 straight days anyway. I will be sure to do it, too, because I HATE this C Diff thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky!

    Happy Hanukkah!

    I am so glad that you are free of allergic reactions. My prayer was answered. :-)

    I couldn't take Celebrex for my arthritis when my knees hurt. I am allergic to it because it contains Sulfa which I am extremely allergic.

    Oh, my muscles in my back feel much, much better. Yea!!!
    Still taking Aleve but not so often or as much.

    You're still in my prayers. Please give Cindy my thanks for allowing you and Mark to stay in her home.

    I love you and Mark,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Chanukah indeed! I am so glad you made it through this round of chemo without allergic reactions so that you were able to celebrate the first night of Chanukah with your family. Sorry to hear that C diff is back, but hopefully the meds will take care of that. I pray that you will be able to fully celebrate all 8 days and nights as well as many holidays to come.

    Love,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete